Bordeaux and a little wine tasting

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Jessica

Bordeaux and a little wine tasting

I'm travelling to France at the end of May and I would like to stop by Bordeaux for a few days and sample some wine before dropping some dough to send some back here. In everything I've been reading, it says that it's difficult to actually do any visits to the vineyards and wineries. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me find a way to do this, or any recommendations for other parts of France that might be more friendly when it comes to this? Thanks!

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:58 AM
StCirq

Just go to the Maison du Vin, on the cours du 30 juillet, and the tourist office, which is practically next door. Both can arrange wine tours of all kinds for you. In Bordeaux itself, you can sample wines at any wine store or wine bar.

Mar 30th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Bob

As you drive down the road you will see sighs with the word CAVE. That a wine cellar, stop and sample. We have found that they may or may not be open but try anyway.

Mar 30th, 2001, 10:55 AM
elvira

On a solo trip to Bordeaux a few years ago, I took one of the many tours offered through the tourist office. Comfy bus, excellent guide, visits to a couple of different vineyards, and a stop in a walled village for a little sightseeing. I'd highly recommend it!

Mar 30th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Patrick

We spent a day driving on the Gironde peninsula north of Bordeaux and found dozens of wineries, including some very famous ones like Chateau Margaux which offer tours and tastings. Our problem was that it was August and virtually all of them were closed, but I can't believe that it would be a problem in May. To me it was not unlike Napa Valley in that you can just stop, tour, and taste, except that the area is a whole lot prettier!

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:15 PM
ldsant

Went to Bordeaux- stop at St. Emillion! Great wine, great little town. There's wine tasting everywhere throughout. Enjoy yourself!

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I have to echo ldsant above. Once you stop at St. Emilion, it will immediately earn an affectionate and eternal place in your memories of France. Take some pictures and do a tour. We were fortunate to have been able to arrange a private visit to a wine chateau in nearby Fronsac, complete with a lingering stay in the tasting room. Sadly, I recently consumed the last bottle from that visit and there is no possibility of replacing it without going back to France.... Which, come to think of it, is not such a bad idea!