Reload this Page >

Just Back From Galway - Any Questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Wyn

Just back from five days in Galway. Any questions?

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 12:52 PM
kim

What is the weather like at this time of year? I assume fewer crowds and lower prices? Do you think it is a good time of year to go?

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 08:38 PM
rlk

- <BR>I'll start with the basics --- where did you stay? Was this a first trip to Ireland or have you been there previously? Did you drive in the area (thinking of planning a road trip in Ireland next year) or did you just stay in Galway for the 5 days? <BR> <BR>Tell us your impressions -- what did you enjoy the most -- any surprises? Food -- better or worse than you thought? I've heard some great things about Ireland; their economy has risen dramatically in recent years and it seems to be coming one of the "hot spots" to visit.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Wyn

Kim, <BR> <BR>The weather this time of year is comparable to the Mid-Altantic region of the U.S. It is cold, but not frigid. Rain really wasn't an issue when I was there. <BR> <BR>I found it to be a great time of year to visit. There were absolutely no crowds anywhere. Alot of the scenic sites, such as the Cliffs of Moher, were empty. It was great to see the beautiful countryside without thousands of tourists clogging the roads, etc.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Wyn

rlk, <BR> <BR>This was my second trip to Ireland. I had been to Dublin before and that's when I fell in love with Ireland. But everyone I talked to and the research I did, said you need to go to the West Coast to really experience the Irish culture, see the countryside, etc. <BR> <BR>Reason I chose Galway was because it was a great city to base myself out of. It's the fourth largest city in Ireland, but only has a population of 65,000. From Galway I could take daytrips into the countryside, veering not too far from Galway and be back by dark. Galway is a university town, so the pub scene was excellent and there was always something to do at night, primarily drinking way too much Guinness! <BR> <BR>I stayed in a hostel (as I was a solo traveler) which worked out just great. The hostel was right in the City Centre and I had my own private room and bathroom for the equivalent of $25 a night. <BR> <BR>I did not rent a car. When I took the daytrips I did bus tours. While I was not a fan of the tourist bus alternative, it actually worked out great. The roads in Ireland are very tight and most don't have road signs. Very easy to get lost. The bus tours took us to great sites, we got off and spent a fair amount of time at each stop. It doesn't get light in Ireland until around 9 a.m. and gets dark around 4:30 pm. right now so the days are short and you really get to see the most in a day from the bus tour and don't have to worry about getting lost. <BR> <BR>Food was great. I ate pub food at just about every meal, which was hearty, big portions and relatively inexpensive. <BR> <BR>The economy is strong right now as well. One Irish punt is basically the equivalent to the U.S. dollar at the moment. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:36 AM
SD

Message: Message: I'm going to probably be posting multiple messages in the upcoming future (once I make sure my questions can't be answered in the archived posts), but here's my first: I've heard from a friend of mine that out of the normal Dublin-Shannon cities (Wicklow, Waterford,........etc.), his favorite was Galway. My wife and I are actually going from Shannon-Dublin and, based on my friend's info, would probably like to spend a few days in Galway. Can anyone recommend any B&B's close to the city center and Galway bay (maybe ON Galway Bay and is that close to the city center), and does anyone have any recommendations on golf courses around there? Also, does anyone know if it would be a problem for a single to go out for a round of golf? <BR> <BR>Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>THanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Phyllis

Hi Wyn...My husband and I are spending 2 days in Galway as part of our trip. We are staying at the Glenlo Abbey Hotel. Are you familiar with it? What was the best thing you did while visiting there and recommend not to miss??

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Lisa B

Hi SD, <BR> <BR>You should do a search on the board for Galway B&B's, or Salthill B&B's. Lots of information has been posted here. I personally highly recommend the Marless House in Salthill. It was the best out of all the B&B's we stayed in, and Salthill is a great area, right along the water. Enjoy planning!!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Judy

Hi Wyn, we are staying in Galway for 3 nites in Aug(I know it is crowded then). We are staying at the Victoria House Hotel near the center of town. We also picked Galway for the ability to do day trips easily. What did you enjoy most? It is a fun town? It looks it on its web site. What pubs did you go to? Did you go to the islands? Did you go shopping for crafts? I can not wait to go! <BR>Judy

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:35 AM
topper

upsy <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 04:36 PM
John

Hope u n joyed it. <BR>http://www.irlguide.com/