Bordeaux and ?

Jun 16th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Chels

Bordeaux and ?

Hello,

I am planning a trip to France in September (if the fares ever drop...) My friend has a beach house south of Bordeaux where we plan to pass some time. Can anyone suggest a good itinerary to see some of other interesting places that will not kill all of our time travelling? I suspect we may be in France for only about 10 days. (I've only been to Paris before.) We were thinking about going north to Normandy, etc. or going south to the Pyrenees. I think we may prefer to take the rail, but would consider renting a car. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Chels

Jun 16th, 2002, 08:31 AM
xxx

Someone else will have to help with the itinerary, but I suggest the Dordogne.

Jun 16th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Wayne

The Dordogne and Lot valleys are really the best choices, but to see the many quaint and charming villages you will defintely need to rent a car. As for where to go, I suggest just following the local highways along the river and stopping any time you see something of interest. As an initial destination to target from Bordeaux, look for signs to Bergerac. From there, drive east along the only highway that follows the river.

To explore the Lot valley, go south from Bergerac to Villenueve-sur-Lot, then east along the Lot river. Either of these will give you more than enough memories and Kodak moments.

Jun 16th, 2002, 06:34 PM
tania

Other than the obious, Médoc, St.Émilion,etc., there's the village of Cognac, for visits to the different chais.

Carcassone - for its medieval city

Andorra - the tiny municipality for its duty free goods

Jun 17th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Paul

Dordogne for sure. Car a necessity unfortunately.