Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Suggestions for A 3 or 4 Star Hotel in StParis' 6th or 7th Districts That Are Reliable (i.e. doesn't overbook reservations)

Any Suggestions for A 3 or 4 Star Hotel in StParis' 6th or 7th Districts That Are Reliable (i.e. doesn't overbook reservations)

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Joan

Seems like overbooked reservations are happening more often now. Are there any 3-4 star hotels in the 6th or 7th dists. that anyone knows of that keep the room you reserve?

Jun 15th, 2002, 03:15 AM
BTilke

I've never enountered an overbooking problem with the Hotel du Cadran just off the rue Cler. However, it books up very quickly.

Jun 15th, 2002, 03:29 AM
JOdy

we've never encountered a problem with any hotel overbooking..have stayed at Verneuil, Millesime and Angleterre on Rue jacob..I do reconfirm before leaving home however

Jun 15th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Wayne

In general, you don't have to worry about overbooking at any hotel if you make your reservation well ahead and then send a reconfirmation by fax or e-mail a week or two before going. In both the reservation and your confirmation, use very clear and very specific English if you don't know the local language. I have always done this with various hotels in Paris, large and small, as well as hotels all over Europe, and I have never encountered an overbooking problem. And other than reading the reports of recent visitors, you will have no way of identifying suspect hotels that might have a tendency to overbook. So I'd say check the posts on Fodor's web site and then make a reservation for a hotel where no one has complained about overbooking.

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sue

I very much liked the Relais Bosquet in the 7th near rue Cler. Deluxe room was 22 sq. meters, walk-in closet, safe in room, courtesy tray w/electric teapot, tea, instant coffee, cream, A/C, electric roll-down shutters which not only cut out noise (though there wasn't much)and light, but provided a bit of safety when I left my windows open and rolled them down 3/4 of the way. I found the personnel very accommodating (I arrived at 11:00 and my room wasn't ready yet, so they gave me one that was--it was great to be able to dump my stuff and take a shower; they also located the closest SNCF Boutique for me. The deluxe double is 160E I think, less if you are only one person. I have never read anything here about overbooking. I booked through www.france.com and did not reconfirm at all.

Jun 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Sherri Kardell

Hi Joan I have never encoutered this problem. I make my reservations direct through email and then confirm 2 weeks before I leave by both fax and email . Here are some suggestions of hotels in the 6th and 7th: 4 star hotels d'aubusson ; hotel Buci ( not the Buci Latin )hotel le Tourville ( see paris by.com for more info). 3 stars hotels Prince de Conti ; le Madison hotel; also see parisby.com and the hotel Verneuil www.frane-hotel-guide.com get a room with a terrace if you can. Viva La France! Sherri Kardell

Jun 15th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Joan

Hello,thanks for all the good suggestions. I checked the Vernueil and they were absolutely booked. I also checked the Madison and all they had were smaller rooms (double and twins only) and we're a family of three. They're also charging a high rate for an extra bed plus a supplement for the high season. It didn't seem worth it. This is for October also and many hotels are filling up for triples or deluxe rooms already. The St. Gregoire and de l'Abbaye are booked solid.

I ended up booking at the St. Beuve in one of their deluxe rooms and am hoping it will be comfortable enough for all three of us. I like the fact that it's gotten good comments here and I also like the web pictures (I know pictures are deceiving but they were featured in several "charming hotels" books).

Hope it will work out okay!

Jun 16th, 2002, 08:27 AM
sandra

Try the hotel Danube on rue Jacob they may have a room, they do not have a/c which may or not be a problem. We just got burned by Hotel De Seine they confirmed a room with a/c and when we checked in, they handed us a fan. Paris can and is HOT in the summer and open windows let in street noise making it impossible to sleep. danube does NOT overbook and they are wonderful people to stay with

Jun 16th, 2002, 10:39 AM
elaine

I've had only a wonderful experience at the d'Aubusson, and that's a 4-star (Or is it 3?) in the 6th. Outstanding hotel and location.

Jun 16th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Joan

Thank you again. I wanted to stay at the Danube but they are booked and the d'Aubusson is really too much for us. We're a family of three and although I like the d'Aubusson based on reviews and write-ups about it, a room for us would cost 390 Euros not including breakfast. I'll keep the Ste. Beuve.

Jun 17th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Paul

Another vote for the du Cadran (r. de Champs de Mars) around the corner from the rue Cler in the 7th. Stayed there about 15 times; latest last month. We will return. Small rooms - what else is new with 3* in Paris; clean, great staff and wonderful location. Never any trouble with overbooking. A web site exists.