Search

Bordeaux

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bordeaux

Can someone recommend a nice hotel & a few good restaurants in Bordeaux?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I liked La Tupina as a restaurant, although I was somewhat disappointed by the special prix fixe menu (all tomato) they offered last time we visited. I would stick to the pork and beef. They have a web site.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Some hotels:

http://www.priceline.co.uk/pcln/ufi/...FSZYXgodpH9A0g

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budge...en-ci-160.html

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM
ira

Hi D,

These were recommeded by other posters more familiar with Bordeaux than I:

*La Tupina, 6 rue Porte-de-la-Monnaie, tel: 05 56 91 56 37 Daily noon-2pm and 7-11pm

Chez Philippe, a marvelous seafood restaurant on Pl du Parlement

le Bistrot d'Edouard, 16, place du Parlement, serving SW France specialties

Restaurant le Port de la Lune, 59, quai de Paludate Near train station S of Rue C. Domercq

Le Clavel-St-Jean, 44, rue Charles-Domercq. Wine bar , varied and delicious menus. Moderate. SW of the train station

la Boîte à Huitres (for the freshest shellfish with white wine or champage ) 8, rue de la Vielle-Tour
Off L’Intendance near Pl Gambeta

Café Le Regent 46 place Gambetta

Didier Gélineau, 26 rue du Pas-Saint-Georges.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM

It's hard to recommend a hotel unless you provide us with more information. Do you want to stay in the city of Bordeaux or in the region (in the countryside)? What's your budget for the hotel? Is a hotel simply a place to sleep, or are you looking for character? Modern or old-fashioned? When are you planning to visit (will it be summer and, if so, will you need A/C)? Etc.

On our next trip to Bordeaux, I'd like to eat at the restaurant at the Chateau Cordeillan-Bages, mostly because I'm very intrigued by the life story of its chef, Thierry Marx. I watched a documentary about him in my French class. He started out as a bad kid / poor student without a lot of breaks, ran away from home, started to run with a bad crowd in the banlieux, almost ended up in prison but decided to get out of the rut he was in by joining the army. Spent a tough year or so in Lebanon in the early 80s, then went back to Paris. Worked as a security guard, studied cooking at night and somehow (and this is where the documentary was rather vague) ended up as a chef. http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/sea...nt/cordeillan/

My other French teacher, who comes from Bordeaux, says that he has a good reputation and that the restaurant is reasonably priced for what you get - but it's small and you need to book in advance.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I liked Chez Phillippe for seafood. Many people that visit the city choose to base outside, for example, in the Medoc. If you decide to do that, apart from Cordellan Bages, which I have heard good things about from friends who stayed there prior to meeting me in the Dordogne last month, I recommend eating at Lion d'Or in Arcins. Another great restaurant is at the St. james Hotel in nearby Bouliac. If you have a large budget you might want to stay there.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM

The Suinday market next to the Jean Bart is worth a stroll. You can pick up lunch items there, including shell fish, order a glass of wine and sit at a table for a nice small lunch.