Boot sales in England

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Karen

Boot sales in England

I understand that boot sales in England are like garage sales out of the trunk of a person's car. Has anyone been to one and what treasures have you found? Please don't tell me that all boot sales are stolen items, are they?

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Kavey

Hi Karen

Boot sales are indeed a part of british life, as are jumble sales, and bring and buys...

Many of the very very large boot sales which are run weekly in summer have become a place of stolen goods and forged CDs.

However smaller local ones advertised in summer in free local papers are usually genuine.

Sometimes you find diddly squat, other times you strike gold but either way it is fun.

If you are looking for things of real value that the owner doesnt realise are valuable, forget it, the professionals will scout early and beat you to it

But for me I collect eggcups and am always lucky...

Jumble sales are even smaller and usually held as fund raisers by schools or churches. Locals donate junk and people come and buy it... similar fare, great eggcup hunting ground. You'll not find class but you will find the true brits.

Er... am i making any sense at all

i LOVE car boot sales... my hub has to PULL me away sometimes...

or drive really fast past a sign to one before i spot it!!!!

Kavey

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 12:55 PM
Karen

Thanks Kavey, my husband is going to absolutely love your reply. He too likes to collect eggcups but hasn't been too lucky in finding many of these at sales here. We both enjoy garage sales, flea markets, etc. so will definitely check out these boot sales. Thanks again.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 12:56 PM
J.M.

Hi Karen, just writing to let you know that car boot sales can be a bargain hunter and treasure seeker's dream come true!!!

Here is a list of SOME of the things I have found at car boots, things which I really consider great finds (although each to his own!! LOL):

--architectural pieces, such as old tiles, door handles and door knockers

--wonderful old linen tablecloths

--practically brand new baby clothes for a new-mother friend of mine on a very tight budget (wonderful little baby dresses and shorts sets for about £1 - £2 each!!!!

--Art Nouveau pitcher and bowl dresser set for equiv of about $15

ETC ETC - great stuff, if you get there early enough. That is the key!!!

Hope you find some wonderful things at the boot sales!!!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Kavey

Karen

For your husband...

I started collecting eggcups only 4 or 5 years go max...

I was finding myself going to the shops for leisure, but not actually finding something I really wanted, and wasting money buying some idiot thing I really didnt want and regretted later.

I thought back to my happy days of collecting as a youngster... mugs, erasers, keychains, coins, stamps, shells, silver rings etc etc and recalled how such little spend could satisfy such big spending urge.

Hence eggcups. And it works. I own over 130.

Most cost between 10 pence and £4 but a few are more, maybe up to £10 only a few though.

I have all sorts.

And I love the most, finding them secondhand in sales and flea markets worldwide and in little shops wherever I go.

Its a great tip for those shopaholics amongst you that spend too much.

Find something small and start collecting.

kavey the quite quite quite insane

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Mavis

Karen, I agree boot sales are a lot of fun. We have found: antique coffee grinder, egg cups, linens, prints, jewellery, cornishware (my sister collects), torquay (my mother collects) and carrigware (my husband collects), cheap pocketbooks, seeds (not sure they are legal to bring back, but we did), old postcards (best were from WWII). Also keep an eye out for country fetes (complete with vicar, penny games, Morris dancing etc.) or country fairs. We went to the Wellington Fair and had a glorious day - were hounds and horses, hot air balloon rides, antique cars, dog trials, parachute jumping, lots of booths with everything the country types need (we even saw Princess Anne there eating an ice-cream cone!). If you love collectibles and don't mind driving you might also check out the Hemswell Antique Centre in Lincolnshire I think, somewhere by Gainsborough (it's on the map) - three huge buildings that have been turned into a collectible heaven - when we went, which was four years ago, things were still very affordable. Have fun.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Dave

In Britain, if the High Street chemists' sponsors a footware jumble sale on two consectutive weekends, would the second one be a "Boots' boot reboot"?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Janine

How do you find out where they are being held?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Karen

Thanks very much for the info. This sounds so exciting, now we don't have to worry about garage saleing withdrawal during our vacation. My only dilemna now is whether I should invest in a larger backpack for the trip. I enjoy looking for old jewellery - rhinestones, silver, etc. I also collect small tinket boxes, the fine bone china type. I've boughten (sp?) a few of these at your outdoor open markets (not sure the proper name) where they sell "seconds". Our trip doesn't start til later in Sept. but hopefully we can find a few in the fall/winter season. Thanks so much again for the info.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:37 AM
Karen

(Oops), should have read "trinket boxes).

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:57 AM
ann

hi... i can't agree more how fun these sales are...
I got a set of 4 christal glasses on one of these and paid 1£ for them !

usually they are advertised on leaflets pinned on walls, in shops, ...

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Sue

You can also find out when car boot sales are taking place by checking local newspapers on a Friday or Saturday.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:05 PM
J.M.

Also, this website is still under construction, but it may offer you a little info- not sure...

http://www.carbootcalendar.com

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Mavis

I just thought of something else to recommend. Don't forget to check out the charity shops. They are all over the place and we've found some wonderful treasures in them. Maybe not 'antiques' as defined by the British (1600s!), but certainly collectibles, or about to be collectibles. Ones I can think of: Sue Ryder, Oxfam, Red Cross - but there are many others. Probably the English Tourist Authority would be able to give you a list. Two places we had the best luck - in Banbury, Oxfordshire - four or five stores there and in Helston, Cornwall - were about 10. I haven't come across a source on the internet re: carboot sales, but whenever we get to a town, we always head to the main post office/tourist office. The sales are normally advertised on bulletin boards outside.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 11:10 AM
robin

this is funny! i live in north carolina and will be moving to the uk with my husband in uk. i thougt this was about boot/shoe sales! ha ha..i just found out boot in england is the trunk of the car...actually i had heard that first when i moved to nc from texas. anyway!!! i love consignment shops! do they have those in england! i use them all the time here to get rid of stuff becuase i LOVE to shop...and i know i will love these boot sales you are talking about..i always find good things at goodwill, salvation army, etc...do they have those in england?

tell me more!!! i bet my husband will drive by quick to!!! he is not a shopper but i am..and we just got married last monday!!! r

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 12:00 PM
dumb

What's an eggcup?