Bookmarking vs Favorites

Search

Bookmarking vs Favorites

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookmarking vs Favorites

What does 'bookmarking' do.. add your name to a thread so you can 'find' it later..?

Why not just add it to 'Favorites' ? You can name it what you want and it doesn't raise up a post multiple times, pushing more recent ones down the list.

Just wondering.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Or even emailing to oneself .

I guess some are too lazy to figure out how to save a thread to favorites (called bookmarks on some browsers) and some don't even realize they can.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 07:00 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes I'll do both. In other words, if I find a thread that is particularly informative, I'll add it to my favorites and may also add a "bookmarking" post at the end of it, so that others who may have missed it will get a second chance. It's my way of trying to be helpful and at the same time complimenting the original poster.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Technically, bookmarking is what you do in Netscape or its descendant browsers while Favorites is in Internet Explorer. Bookmarking is the more descriptive word, but Netscape used it (and presumedly trademarked it) before Microsoft developed an Internet browser.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I'm not comparing the same function between IE and Netscape - I'm talking about folks who create a post on a thread and type the word: bookmarking.

Doing this raises an old thread to the top, and usually a few more people then follow suit, adding several posts saying "bookmarking", "me,too" etc.

An alternative is to save the website page as a 'Favorite' or 'Bookmark' for future reference. Your saved page will be easier to find, especially if you create a little structure to keep them organized.

"bookmarking" by posting will only do you good for so long, espec.if you are a frequent poster. You might end up scrolling a long time trying to find a particular one.