Booking rooms in Croatia for Spring 2020

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking rooms in Croatia for Spring 2020

Hello,
I am planning a 2 week trip to Croatia with my spouse at the end of May/early June 2020. I've booked the rooms on front end - Spilt, Hvar and Dubrovnik - but have been 'holding off' booking the remainder of the lodging. I wanted to keep some parts flexible but now I'm wondering how far in advance I need to get everything booked. At that time of the year, is it possible to book closer to the actual dates - like a few days or a week out? Is that too risky?

And another related question re: the ferries. Is it necessary to book them in advance as well? For all of them or just the more popular (such as Split to Hvar or Hvar to Dubrovnik, etc)?

Thank you!
-dandc
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 01:12 PM

It has been several years since I was last in Dalmatia, but it was always in late May. I never booked any boat trips in advance, but it would be prudent to at least grab some the day before. I mostly did book lodging in advance because I am picky--I want view and balcony where ever I stay. I have sometimes had difficulty finding lodging in small places like Trogir if an event was occurring. What other places are you going, and for how long? Most places are quite small,but I don't think you would end up not finding anything. If you have an app like Booking.com, it should be fairly easy to play it by ear.

For transport by sea, you have catamarans operated by Krilo and catamarans plus car ferries operated by Jadrolinija. I am not sure which ones are purchasable in advance, but I would look over the schedules on their websites to get a sense of which ones you may need.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 05:33 PM

For ferries do you mean just passengers or are you bringing a car? I do think you'd be wise to book in advance for a car but if you mean just passengers then no need. We did not book in advance for July and were able to get on ferries from Split to Hvar, Hvar to Split, Split to Brac, etc. last minute (walk up an hour or so before departure). I was taking the large ferries though not the smaller catamarans. Several years ago I took a catamaran from Korcula to Split and bought the ticket the night before and it was pretty full. In fact when it stopped in Hvar not all the passengers were able to get on.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 07:14 PM
kja

For rooms, I think it depends on how willing you are to be in sub-standard accommodations that aren't conveniently located, or to pay dearly for better rooms. Of course, you might have no problem, but I don't think you can assume that well-located rooms will be readily available at the last minute. Even 10 years ago during that time frame, I booked WELL in advance, and didn't always get my first choice.

I trust you realize that booking.com provides many options that can be cancelled with 24-hour notice? Just be sure to read the cancellation information carefully, as it varies.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

No car just passengers, so it seems we can wait until we get there and then book. Thank you,
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

I’m primarily concerned about Korcula, Hvar, Brac and then one last night in Split. I guess I’m picky re views so that’s a good point. Booking.com has better cancellation policies but fewer options so I’ll need to weight the options vs Airbnb. So hard to make decisions!

Any my other input is most welcome, esp any suggestions!
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 08:07 PM
kja

Originally Posted by dandc
Any my other input is most welcome, esp any suggestions!
I don't believe you've provided your itinerary, and of course, you don't need to do so -- but it's hard to comment without it!
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 09:12 AM

It sounds like you are starting with a stay in Split, which is booked, but you are returning for the last night. You might consider staying in Trogir, which is slightly closer to the airport. It's a good place testacy in its own right, but also a nice place to wind down a trip--especially if your outbound flight is early.
In Korcula, I would book because I have rarely has a view as nice as the one I had there--the sea, the mountains of the mainland, and the golden stone of old town.
On Brac, it really depends on where.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Ok, sorry for the vagueness on the itinerary.
Yes, we start in Split, go down the coast to Havr, Dubrovink and make our way back to Split via Korcula and Brac. Thank you for the suggestion re: Trogir on the last night, I will look into that. We wont have a car but we dont need to be at the airport until the afternoon.

Sounds like Korcula should be booked, because, yes, I do want a view and within walking distance to restaurants, etc. On Brac, I'm not sure where - just starting on that part.

Thank you!
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:40 AM
kja

The scenery between Split and Dubrovnik as seen from the coast is, IMO, among the most gorgeous any where in the world, and IMO, much more beautiful than what you see from the water. You might consider going from Split to Dubrovnik by the bus (sit to the right) and then go frum Dubrovnik to Korcula to Hvar and on. Just a thought!