Booking Reservations in Ireland

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Phyllis

Booking Reservations in Ireland

Hi!!! My husband and I will be travelling to Ireland the first week of June 2001 for 6 nights. Should we have all our reservations made ahead of time? It is so hard to plan ahead when you are not sure where or what you want to stay at. I was thinking about making at least 2 nights stay and then wing it when we get there. We are going during the high season so don't want to be left high and dry. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also what castles would be neat to stay at? Thanks a lot !!! Phyllis :=)

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Cathy

Phyllis, <BR>Remember that the first weekend here in Ireland is a Bank Holiday weekend and most places will be booked. It is a good idea to get a mobile phone with your rental car and then you can ring ahead and book your hotel/B&B room. For popular places eg Dublin, Killareny, Galway etc it is wise to have your bookings made well ahead. If you have a favourite place that you really want to stay then reserve in advance. Re castles etc check out the web sites I recommended in previous replies to your posts - Dromland and Ashford are top of the range expensive - it really depends on what you want to spend. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Phyllis

Hi Cathy...Yes I remember you said that it is a bank holiday that first weekend in June. Do you know what the price is for a room at Ashford Castle? Also, I read about Castle Leslie and it sounds really great and affordable, do you know anything about it?? Also, the Fitzwilliam Castle Hotel outside of Dublin, it sounds great as well. If anyone has stayed at any of these places please share your experieces. Will be greatly appreciative. Phyllis

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Katherine Mistilis

I have booked Castle Leslie for our trip in March and everything I hear about it sounds fabulous. Adare Manor is wonderful, also Mt. Juliet. There are many to choose from-The Blue Book, Hidden Ireland and others have great selections.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:28 AM
ginny

Phyllis: Check out www.ashford.ie. It should give you the info you want on price and anything else. I haven't stayed there but visited it while in the village of Cong. <BR> I agree with Cathy as far as booking ahead. I was in Ireland for the first time this past Sept., we did self-catering in the Galway area, and just knowing where we were staying each night in advance left us more time to concentrate and plan the things we wanted to do and see and the time involved. For us it was great and we didn't run ourselves into the ground. Even though we didn't stay at a castle we did attend a medieval banquet at one and had a blast! Another good site that helped us is www.irelandexpert.com. Have a great time!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Phyllis

Hi...This is for Katherine I would love to hear how your stay At Castle Leslie turns out. I think I am going to go ahead and make a reservation there as well. Please let me hear how it was. thanks..On another note I had the name of the one of the hotels wrong. The one I am Interested in is The Fitzpatrick Castle Hill Hotel in Killiney, Dublin, also has anyone stayed at the Ariel Guest House in Dublin? Any info would be great. Thanks again..Phyllis We are so excited about our trip!!!!! I guess it sounds like we would do better to have all our reservations made in advance. We will be there 7 nights so this will be tough when you don't know for sure where you want to go or see. Any suggestions?????????????

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Danna

phyllis, <BR>June! call today to secure at least your arrival night and your departure night no matter where you are flying. I don't know if you can wing it from there but you want those two reservations secure! I personally wouldn't count on internet reservations. For that first and last night I wanted to talk in person. Have Fun!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Phyllis

Thanks Dana...Thanks for your insight about reservations. Now, I am getting nervous, is it really that hard to get rooms once you are there in June???? Also, I know that Monday, June 4th is the Bank Holiday. Does that mean that Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be booked at most places to stay??? thank's a lot.. Phyllis

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Danna

phyllis, <BR>I wouldn;t get nervous about the in betweeen times. I haven't been there in June, others here have. I just know that I WANT TO KNOW I have a room on arrival and departure. On the other hand I'm a little manic about stuff. We were there in October and still had first and last night reservations and took the rest as they came. HAVE FUN!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:47 PM
kam

Last year I started booking in February for October. Dromoland and Ashford were already completely booked and that didn't change even though we asked on arrival. Know that Bunratty Castle Hotel is not a castle but a nice hotel near the castle. Glin castle is a possibility as is Ballyseede in Tralee. Another (but you'd need to book ASAP) is Ballynahinch up in Connemara. Good luck. <BR> <BR>P.S. Stay at Ashford in the past and Dromoland 10 years ago--great if you're into golf but I prefer smaller properties. I made all our hotel res. ahead, but we knew exactly where we wanted to go. It just depends on whether you're willing to accept a compromise at the last minute.