Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Booking Hotels in Advance or When We get to Destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ciao! Will I get better prices booking in advance (we leave at the end of august).
We are contemplating changing our journey when we get there and don't want to be "locked" into going to certain destinations. Currently, the spots to vist are Venice, Lake Como, then the Riviera.
Thanks!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Intrepid

I'm very sorry but I think the question you might be asking is, "Will I get a ROOM?" I agree with not being "locked in" but consider the alternatives..spending perhaps countless hours searching for a place to stay. However, if that adds to the adventure and for many it does and is perfectly OK, then why not? BUT, you're here and asking the question so obviously there's some concern...what's most important? "adventure" or relaxation?

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM

I like to explore hotels thru this site, travel guides, word of mouth,etc., and usually have some sense of where I'd like to stay. Therefore, I book ahead so it's not 8 pm and I'm forced into a no starred hotel or, at the other end, a 5 starred one when I really want to be at a wonderful 2-3 star that has been booked for weeks/months. For example, when we were in Siena in May ('01), the little hotel told me they were already pretty well booked for Oct.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree, it depends what's most important to you, freedom to change your schedule, or knowing you have a nice place to stay (without spending alot of time and energy seeking one out).

Also I always book directly with hotels, via internet or fax, not thru booking agencies.

I would try to be aware of any events in certain places (conventions, local holidays) that might book up most of the rooms.

I would particularly make a reservation for Venice ahead of time, because it is not that big, and I would want to stay centrally, not get stuck back in Mestre or such.

My worst nightmare would be wandering around hauling my suitcase in a town I don't know (neighborhoods near the train stations are usually not the most pleasant) seeking a place to stay. That is just not my idea of a pleasant trip. I'd rather give up the sponteneity for ease in logistics. But that's a very personal choice.

If you speak Italian, are willing to use a phone to call ahead, and are armed with some good hotel suggestions, then maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it sound. Good luck! Safe travels!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM

We like to have our arrival and departure hotel reservations set, so you have nothing to worry about on those important days when you're dealing with airports and transport. When we were younger, we'd arrive in an Italian city and just look for a place, based on guidebooks or even use terminal reservation services. (Prices were much lower then.) Now we call ahead a day or two before we intend to arrive in our next city. On a recent trip to Venice in June, we literally left our hotel for the train station, with no idea of where we were going. (We were thinking Padua or Verona, with the ability to day trip to either). At the Venice train station, the first hotel we called from our Verona list was able to take us for the three nights we needed. From Verona, we called a friend in Cesena we planned to visit, who couldn't see us yet. So we called a hotel in Ravenna and got a room at first try with the same good luck. Note that we were traveling just before the special summer events in both Verona and Ravenna. We were not concerned about getting better prices--just a place to stay.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We're in the trip for some R&R - as well as adventure.
Thanks for the responses!