Reload this Page >

Booking apt. from the web?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:54 PM
Nancy

If you have used a web site to book an apartment in Paris, I would be interested in hearing about your experience. My family of 4 and another would like to each rent a one bedroom apartment in Paris for 4 days in June of 2002. Thank you!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:17 PM
StCirq

Nancy: Whatever you ar booking, I would recommend that you get on the phone and deal with a live human being and then get at least a fax confirmation in writing. In my considerable experience with the French, they don't use technology well and the companies they rely on to make their bookings aren't that reliable. Don <BR>t let your inhibitions prevent you from making sure your reservations are properly confirmed, and demand a written confirmation. Then, at least, you can show up at the door with a piece of paper that confirms your legitimacy. I would never book an apartment rental over the web without accompanying paperwork. Tried to book a room in Bayeux earlier this year through a company called HotelSwitch (marvelously apt name, in retrospect) and found they' booked me and my "party of 5" (we were 4) at some hotel in Clermont-Ferrand, hundreds of miles from where I wanted to be. When I contacted them about the problem they claimed they'd fix it - thank you, but no, I replied and faxed directly to a hotel in Bayeux where I got a pleasant response and a cheaper price. I know it's traumatic to call a foreign place on the phone, but do it - you'll in all likelihood be able to speak English, and you'll know exactly what the score is.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:01 PM
elvira

Last fall, I rented an apartment for 5 weeks in Paris. Rather than through a professional (Citadines, for example) renter, I chose a private landlord who had an American agent. I could not have been happier! <BR> <BR>I wanted a Parisian apartment, not an American apartment in Paris. The neighborhood was definitely not a tourist destination; my apartment was in a courtyard with studios and apartments owned by artists. My landlord told me which boulangerie was the best, where to find a "7/11" type store at night, which restaurants were hot in the neighborhood.... <BR> <BR>Once things were confirmed through the American agent, everything else was done by email to my Paris landlord. As St Cirq pointed out, get written confirmations of everything; be sure you have legit phone numbers for the rental agency and/or the landlord. <BR> <BR>Lastly, go with gut instinct; if something feels off, it is. Find another agent. Women don't want to appear foolish, so we often plow ahead when we know better. <BR> <BR>This is who I used last fall: <BR>http://www.albany.net/~nracnyfr/parisapt.html

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:00 PM
Christina

I also would never, ever book an apt through a web site, but certainly look at them to make up your mind, perhaps that's what you meant. I've used PSR (www.yourhomeinparis.com) and Vacation in Paris (www.vacationinparis.com), although I did not go thru with the latter one to rent (I did have several discussions with them). Both of these have American phone numbers and reps so are easy to deal with (even though PSR is very French). PSR was very competent and forthright, I had no problems with them, but I speak French fairly well so did have conversations with their Paris office on some issues in the apt. However, their Parisian employees speak English fairly well, I believe, so I would not worry about that. I liked them because they are French but have US office (so can talk to people in US and use a credit card for deposit and charges) and have a large inventory of apts, some in outer areas that are less touristy and cheaper. However, many people don't want that and want inner expensive tourist areas and choose Chez Vous which is what they have (www.chezvous.com). They have US number also. A family of 4 in a 1-bedrm is rather cramped IMO, but do-able if some of those are small children. I prefer a well-established, large agency for fiscal safety purposes myself, rather than private owners or small brokers who deal in a couple apts and just mark them up but have no reps in Paris (there are many of those around).

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Joan

My husband and I are renting two apartments in Paris this September for us and some family members and they are right across the hall from each other. The woman who has these apartments is from San Francisco and rents out these apartments when she is not there. On her website, vparis7.com, there are photographs of each room in each apartment which are located in the 7th arrondisement. One of them has a view from the bed of the top third of the Eiffel Tower. The sofas in each apartment are sleepers. I am looking forward to our stay and felt good dealing with her directly. The last time we were in Paris we rented through PSR and did run into a few glitches - like no towels on arrival. I will be happy to post a report when we get back but you may want to check out her website and contact her regarding availability. We reserved a year in advance and would have preferred the last two weeks in Sept. but they were already booked.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Nancy

Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful responses. You've given me a lot of information! I now have a place to start. I don't know what I'd do without these boards. Thanks again. <BR>Nancy

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Mel

Elvira: <BR>Could you give more info on the neighborhood where you rented? It sounds perfect. <BR>Thanks.