Reload this Page >

Booking accommodations at Tourist Information Centres

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Mark

I have a question for the experienced UK travelers. My wife and I will be taking our 18 year old niece on a 2 week trip to the UK. We will spend the first week touring the Cotswolds and Wales, the second week in London. The plan is to book accommmodations (B&B, farmhouses) at local Tourist Information Centres as we travel around. Ideally, I would like to make arrangements around noon, for a location we could would arrive at later in the afternoon. Will the TI make reservations for locations that are out of the immediate area? Are their other issues that I need to be aware of? Thank you for your help. Mark

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Gloria

Hello, Mark! <BR>My husband and I toured the countryside of England for 10 days in our rental car. We were very successful in the Cotswolds with the TI offices. They were extremely helpful and would make accomodations for that day and the next if asked. They charged a fee of a pound or two to offset the phonecall. <BR>Our trip was in the Spring of the year. Vacancies were not a problem in March and April. You may encounter a little more difficulty if touring during the summer. <BR>Good Luck! Have a wonderful trip! <BR>Gloria <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Thyra

Tourist Information in the UK is a real life saver! You should note that they do charge a small fee, and that part of that does go to the price of your B & B. Every place that has been found for us by Tourist Info, has been clean and the owners very friendly. However you do need to know that if a town is booked solid.. it will be booked solid and there may be nothing Tourist Info can do. Usually they can get you anything, but occasionally lodgings within our price range have been full and we've had to go over our preferred per diem. London and the Cotswolds are very popular, I would consider booking at least my first night or possibly all of your London nights in advance. <BR>Also note, certain very popular destinations, have long lines at tourist info... places like say Stratfor-upon-Avon. You can wait in line for ages. <BR>Again, TI is a great service that has never failed us. And I do seem to recall that they would call ahead to the tourist info in your next destination town and help you book a room for THAT location. <BR>I think we ended up trying to book a day in advance for weekend days. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Linda

For rooms in another town, I believe you need to look for the Book A Bed Ahead service. This is different than the Book a Bed service, and and I do not think all TIs have it. Certainly, the larger ones do. If you are staying in typical tourist spots you should have no problems. These TI services are some of the best deals around. I've used them extensively and never been disappointed.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:22 PM
steve

I have also used them in England with good result. Similar good results in Ireland, France and Germany. Especially good when you don't have a car (i was cycling) and you don't want to drive around to check them out on your own.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:05 PM
janis

If the b&B is in the local area there is no fee - just a small deposit that is deducted from the room rate. If the TI has to call long distance - then they chareg a small booking fee on top of the deposit. <BR> <BR>In most places - if you can be in the TI before noon you will have no problem (later also works - but early ensures less places might be full since most folks start looking in the afternoon). <BR> <BR>One note - most B&Bs are either a one person or one couple operation and they are sometimes not home in the afternoon. They usually tidy up in the morning after the checkouts and then often leave - They could either be out doing farm chores, the daily shopping or visiting friends. So sometimes they will advise the TI to have you show up by, or after, a specific time.