Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Booked the Politian apts. in Montepulciano

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We have finally started to book our honeymoon trip for next June. We booked Apartment #2 in The Politian, Montepulciano, for next June 4-June 11. We're so excited! We will spend about 4 days before that in Florence (and possibly 2 days after, if we are flying out of Florence; otherwise, we'll head to Rome).

Giacomo seems so wonderful to work with so far. I have read monicapileggi's great comments about the apartments, and would be interested in hearing any other experiences about this place, or about Montepulciano in general!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:44 AM

Don't know about these apartments, but Montipulciano was one of the highlights of our Italy trip, now over 10 years ago. Even today, whenever I see Montipulciano wine on a menu I have to order it, partly because the wine is so wonderful and partly because the memories of our trip are so wonderful. It is a charming hill town itself and a quick drive to other places nearby (Sienna, Pienza for two) that are definitely worthwhile. We did Montipulciano between Florence and Rome and it is highly doable. (We even drove right into Rome to return our rental car, which I would not recommend. See other postings here with other suggestions of towns near Rome such as Orvieto to drop the rental car and train to Rome. I think the Rome police might still be talking about that illegal left hand turn we made!) Enjoy planning your trip and your marriage. (After 20 years I highly recommend both!)
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 12:32 PM

We're a long way past honeymoon status, but we will be staying in Apartment #1 during part of your stay. We arrive May 30 for a week. We were also influenced by Monica's trip report, and she gave us some additional information by e-mail.

On our one previous trip to Italy, we greatly enjoyed other parts of Tuscany, but we really look forward to being in an apartment and getting to know a smaller area. Montpulciano looks like a terrific place to use as a base, but we haven't started planning our day trips yet.

I agree with you about Giacomo; it was very easy to arrange our accommodations.

See you in Tuscany!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 12:40 PM

Budman mentioned he just stayed at the Politan apts. Perhaps he'll report in on them?? Bringing this to the top, so he'll see it.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM

Stayed in The Politian in August and enjoyed it tremendously. All the facilities you need and very roomy with a magnificent view across a valley from both the lounge & bedroom. Great location at the top of the town, some nice restaurants, wonderful old buildings and several other nearby hilltowns to enjoy. Walking from the bottom of the town back up the hill will keep you fit but there is a small local bus if you wish.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad to hear such wonderful things about Montepulciano and the Politian! I become more excited about the trip each day

Patrick, we will be following some of your "itineraries" for walking in the Montepulciano area, as we will not be renting a car. We also bought the book "Walking and Eating in Tuscany and Umbria," which has been a wonderful resource.

I can't wait to explore the Val D'Orcia in-depth! We will probably stick to this small area, using a combination of the (from what I gather) limited bus service and the Heel-Toe express!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

jd_dallas, I look forward to sharing tips with you as we both draw closer to our trips! This is our first trip to Tuscany, so we welcome any suggestions and tidbits.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM

TarheelsInNj -- What is a Tarheel doing in NJ?

We just got back from Montepulciano last week, and stayed in Apartment #2. Had not planned on doing a trip report until next week, but will do this section now for you.

We booked both apartments 6 months in advance as my brother and his wife were going to accompany us and the apartments had a door that adjoined the two. We thought this was ideal for getting together for snacks & trip planning, wine drinking, etc.

Well, my brother had to cancel, and for some reason I thought I would be getting Apartment #1, the same one Monica Pileggi stayed in, but when we arrived -- Oops, we were given Apt #2.

Even after Monica gave us directions, we still got a little lost finding the apartment. We arrived late Saturday afternoon and rang the doorbell. Giacomo was not at home, and we were greeted by his lovely mother and the cleaning lady, who by the way spoke no English at all. After going thru all the hand signals, we seemed to break all the ?codes? we needed to get situated, i.e., which keys went to which doors, yada, yada, yada.

Now, to get the kitchen sink (pet name for my wife's suitcase) up to Apartment #2. I remember it was either me or someone else asking how many steps to get up to the Apartment, and the answer was about 25 or so, but Giacomo carried her luggage up there for her. Well, here's the not so good news to get to Apt #2. Up 17 steps to the first landing, then another 5-6 steps to another landing. To get from there to Apt #1, you would turn right at the second landing, then up 17 more steps to get into Apt #1.

To get to Apt #2, once you get to the second landing, you go outside to the back courtyard, down 10-12 steps, across the courtyard (100 feet or so), and head up 17 wrought iron steps to get into the Apt. Once you open the outside door to enter the apartment, there were another 10 steps to get up to the apartment. Guess what happened to Budman on several occasions? He forgot something in either the car or the apartment and had to go back and forth and get it.

We headed out to the supermarket (Conad) to buy some cheese, salami, bread, water, more cheese, OJ, snacks, etc. A 6-pack of 1.5 litre bottles of water was 2.76 Euro (a little over $3) -- great deal. We went thru that plus some during the week. We had a couple of 20oz water bottles that we brought with us in our carry-on, and we used them to refill for day trips. I later found out that there is a little local market a few blocks from the Apt which had just about everything you would need. I would use that next time instead of going to the supermmarket.

We had a little problem finding Conad ? it is out the back gate the other end of the town, down a little street just to the left of the Esso gas station.

You?re probably waiting to hear more about the Apartment? Well, here goes.

-- There is no radio, TV, air-conditioning, and no washing machine, but you shouldn?t have any problem entertaining yourselves. I was counting on the washing machine as I brought fewer clothes and was going to use it about mid-week. I ended up going down the street. There was a little place you could drop the stuff off, and she washed/dried/folded for 10 Euro.

-- There was plenty of hot water (no switch to turn on/off) for back-to-back showers and my shaving. Great water pressure. The shower stall was tiny, tiny, tiny. You had to squeeze to get into it, and when you closed the doors there was very little room to move. I know you are going to be on your honeymoon, but don?t even think of showering together. Additionally, there was no shelf in the shower to put your soap or shampoo bottles. Oh, by the way, bring your own big bar of soap and wash cloth. Don't forget. The towels are not what you are used to at home. Just a little thicker than a bed sheet.

-- There are 2 bedrooms, master with wrought iron canopy bed (it is a little squeaky) and a second bedroom with 2 single beds. We used the two single bed pillows. The views from both bedrooms are just as you see on the website, if not better, especially in the mornings and evenings.

-- Giacomo had a can of coffee and a bottle of red & white in the Apartment for us. I shared a bottle of my super tuscan with him. I had to get some brief instructions on how to use the coffee maker. It makes one cup at a time.

The best part of Montepulciano was the wine, especially the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. There were a lot of enotecas in the village, but I thought the best one was Crociani which was right across the street from the apartment and down a building or two. They had the best prices too. I bought a case of wine from them and the provided the Styrofoam containers free of charge so I could put it with my checked baggage (you are allowed 4 checked bags ? I had 3 bags and one box of wine for the 4 th bag. I also carried 8 bottles in my carry-on.

Additionally, when I was in their shop tasting, I learned that they are good friends with Giacomo, and it certainly helped letting them know I was staying in one of his apartments. I also learned that they sold their own vino da tavola by observing some of the locals bringing in their empties to be refilled. I asked if I could buy some, and they gave me 2 of their empty tasting bottles, magic markered the labels, filled them both, and when I asked how much, she said "Two Euro." Budman instantly "died and went to heaven."

e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like more specifics.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Hello TarheelsInNj,

You can read my looong journal from our trip http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/ItalyJrnl04.html and see how we spent our week while staying in Montepulciano.

Hi Budman, welcome home! It sounds like Apartment #1 was better with the washing machine and not having to "do" the extra stairs to get to #2. I wish I had known about Crociani. I love bringing empty bottles and having them filled with local wine for 2-3 Euros. I bet you did go to heaven! I look forward to reading your full report!

Monica
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:43 PM

PS: It was us that Giacomo carried our luggage to our apt.