Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please Help ASAP with advice for October trip to ROME/Tuscany/Umbria

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am searching for some help and tried and true advice with a trip I am planning this coming October. I've never traveled to Europe as of yet and am quite frankly, finding the entire process rather daunting. The intent is to plan for two weeks, one in Rome, the other in Tuscany/Umbria/Chianti or equivalent area(agritourismo preferably) all on a Budget. I have two major areas of advice I am desperate to find: First, I am trying to find budget accom. in Rome (have been looking for convents and would LOVE any info. anyone has regaurding that)...And second: The Tuscany part...we are looking for a nice villa/farmhouse/or equivalent suitable for two people (we are celebrating our wedding anniversary-no kids! ) We would love to find somewhere that would immerse us head first into the culture, so if anyone can reccommend a good 'home-stay' type accomodation, it would be very appreciated. As well, any ideas for a small villa or farmhouse would be just wonderful. If anyone can help me, please email me personally!! Planning the trip for late October, any and all advice pertaining to Italy is a plus too, car rental, restaurant, anything at all!! all suggestions welcome and appreciated to the fullest! Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In Rome there is a convent/hotel on via Cavour called Domus Nova Bethlem. The website is www.suorebambinogesu.it I don't think the prices are any better than many other budget hotels and most convents will have a curfew. Since you will be in Rome a week you might want to consider renting an apartment instead of staying in a convent or hotel. Try www.slowtrav.com and venere.com
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:10 PM

You can also try www.eurocheapo.com for budget hotels.

I also second the idea of searching the vacation rental listing on www.slowtrav.com
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Hi
Here is the name of a nice agriturismo just outside of Greve in Chianti (Tuscany). It has three b&b type rooms that are all charming:

podere torre

It is on a hillside with olive groves, grapes, antique roses, views and a lovely hostess who can tell you where to eat, walk, information on Florence (about 45 minutes away), etc. It is not really fancy but so comfortable and peaceful. The easiest way to find the site on the web is through this site:

greve-in-chianti.com

look under the name podere torre or under b&b's or rural stays.

Also you can access it through:
specialplacestostay.com, under Italy.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:17 PM

If you are planning to spend a week in Rome, you might want to consider an apartment. In April my 2 adult children and I rented a wonderful little apartment in Trastevere for $110 a night (I think it was $100 for 2 people. We really enjoyed the area, and it was nice to be able to enjoy a few meals/snacks at "home". We made our reservations through sleep in Italy, and were really pleased with the service.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM

In Tuscany, just outside Siena look into Frances Lodge-charming hosts, wonderful place, beautiful setting. Website is Franceslodge.it. We stayed there last October and I wish we were going back this October! It's a great central location for travelling around Tuscany, including this Chianti region.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Here's an apartment in Montepulciano you might want to consider since you're on a budget. It's only 400 Euro for the week. We're staying there in September for a week and taking day trips throughout the region.

http://www.politian.com/

Monica talks about it in her trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34504798
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Hello lagere8: For autumn 2004 a friend and I have booked a five day car rental from AutoEurope, pick-up and drop-off in Florence.

From Florence we'll drive to "Antica Dimora B&B", 4 km from San Gimignano. View room, ensuite, etc. at E80. Explore Volterra and San Gi that day and evening.

The next day we'll drive to Siena and stay at "B&B Palazzo Bruchi", located inside the Siena walls. Shared bathroom, lovely view, E80, www.palazzobruchi.it/ . We'll enjoy Siena that day and evening and the next morning.

Sometime the next day we'll drive 1 hr SE to "La Costa" in Montefollonico. Ensuite, view of the valley, E110 a night, and highly recommended by bobthenavigator of this board. www.lacosta.it/ We'll explore Montalcino, Montelpulciano, the two abbeys nearby, Cortona, etc.

We're breaking up our five nights in Tuscany with three different accommodations but we didn't want to backtrack (a prairie-girl phobia)and the driving scale in Tuscany is small.

Linda