Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Booked on Virgen but Was comfirmed on United airline

Sep 19th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hello folks:
I just booked a vacation package with Virgin atlantic for Nov. 4-13,2003..
I was really wanting to fly Virgin but, Virgin comfirmed me on United airlines roundtrip. Did this ever happen to any body
else..
thanks
Sep 19th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I haven't had that happen on Virgin but we booked our tickets in Oct. on United and are ticketed on Luftansa. I didn't complain in this instance but can understand why you'd be ticked--did you call the airline. It's probably a code share flight that United actually operates...
Sep 19th, 2003, 08:53 AM

A lot of them code share, for example Lufthansa/United.

Virgin Atlantic used to share with Continental. We were booked on a Continental flight from London to Newark a couple of years ago, and much to my delight, it was a Virgin Atlantic aircraft. I called it "my lucky day."
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:54 AM
jor

I booked on Delta and ended up going to Paris on a Belgium airline then to Edinburgh on Air Lingus! Only the flight within the US was Delta. Three different airlines for one trip
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:07 AM

With code sharing, it happens all the time these days. You have to look up your flight numbers to see what airline you are actually flying on if that is important to you. The worst I have heard of was from a friend of mine who booked on Delta but ended up on a tiny AeroMexico prop plane with no functioning restroom with her 3 kids who ranged in age from 2 (just barely potty trained) to 10. Yuch!
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:00 AM

This is not a "code sharing" situation.I am assuming you booked this online, thru the VirginAirways website.When the page opens, "Virgin Exclusively" is the very first item on the "menu".But if you go down to 'Europe", very clearly at the top of the page is the indication that "VirginAirways is not available for the following packages" or something similar.So had you selected the VirginExclusively option, you would have been on VirginAirways flights."Virgin Vacations" is operated by Europe Express,an independent vacation company.I suggest you call Virgin Vacations and explain your situation and see if there is naything they can do if you want to fly Virgin.All they can do is say no.
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:26 PM
KT

As BeachBoi said, this isn't a codeshare situation. It can't be, because Virgin and United do not codeshare with each other.

Sep 19th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

That is exactly what happened, beachboi
was right, I did not go to the Virgin exclusive packages.
To be honest i got a better hotel with United airlines for the price, example:
$469 Virgin has Central park hotel
$469 United has Thistle Kensington Park

Well, Thanks everybody for your reply!!
I already booked on United and I can not wait to go.. THANK YOU
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:28 PM

Ren.......You'll have a great time I always try to stay in Kensington and I truly love London....Look forward to your report back.......(I need some fish n chips!!)
Sep 19th, 2003, 05:54 PM

I thought I was United with a Virgin but that too, was never confirmed