Book Recommendation?

Jan 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Book Recommendation?

Going to Ireland for a week. Any suggestions for a good novel to get me in the mood during the long flight?
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:37 AM

There have been several threads on book recommendations. I think one was "a fabulous fiction book" or something like it.

For Ireland I would suggest Maeve Binchley.
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:48 AM

My Left Foot, by Christy Brown.

Rent and watch the VCR or DVD. "Waking Ned Devine" before leaving home, a real treat if you haven't already seen it.

I think Maeve's name is "Binchey", w/o the "l"
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I dont know if this book will put in a good mood, but is excellent.
The book title is: REDEMPTION, by Leon Uris.. Great reading...Also it describes the Irish people's plights and struggle before they became an unified country..
Bon Voyage..
Jan 29th, 2004, 10:30 AM

O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
Niall Williams, Christine Breen

This is one of a set of book by this husband and wife. It tells of their experiences of moving to Ireland.
Great Reading!
Jan 29th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Any book by the late John Keane. Try the collection of his short stories. He owned a pub in Kerry and was mourned nationally at his recent demise. The Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by Joyce are others.

In the visual arts a DVD of "Michael Collins" provides flavor of Dublin. Timeless "Quiet Man" of Connemara.
Jan 29th, 2004, 11:31 AM

anything by j.p. donleavy, but particularly "the ginger man". not only will you howl like howard dean throughout the flight but will be doctrinaire as to the irish sense of fun and humor upon arrival.
Jan 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM

By William Trevor: The Story of Lucy Gault (a novel) or The Hill Bachelors (a collection of short stories)

The Fox's Walk, by Annabel Davis-Goff

Annie Dunne, by Sebastian Barry

Troubles, by J.G. Farrell
Jan 29th, 2004, 11:41 AM

McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy-non-fiction & very funny

I agree with grandmere on renting the movie Waking Ned Divine
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I'll print this page out, go to Netflix and rent Ned Divine and stock up on books.

So excited!
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I'd also recommend almost anything by Roddy Doyle. He really captures on paper the Dublin working class accent.

It's hokey, but if you are going to the western part of Ireland where they filmed it (Cong) watching "The Quiet Man" will get you in the mood.
Jan 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM

As much as I loved Waking Ned Divine I was sorely disappointed to find it was not filmed in Ireland. I don't see how that could be but there you go. In the movie it says "Filmed on the Isle of Man" which is *close* but not quite there...

If you want to see Connemara before you get there then I suggest the movie The Matchmaker. While a love story (or several!) the setting is undeniably awesome - and I mean that as in "awe-struck", not just Californese (dude).

Other movies:
War of the Buttons
Widow's Peak (not out on DVD, darn it!)
The Commitments
Braveheart (I know it's not set in Ireland but a vast majority was FILMED there. You'll see Cahir Castle as well as others, parts of Trim I believe, and the battle sequences were all filmed on the Curragh. Up Kildare!)

I must second Pete McCarthy as a laugh out-loud-must-read. (Wasn't as taken with his second attempt though.)

And, while not a novel, you should certainly peruse the Offical Irish magazine "Ireland of the Welcomes" if only for Byways Rather than Hiways.

Have a great trip!

Wendy
Jan 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM

I have to second McCarthy's Bar and add to that "Around Ireland with a Fridge".

Waking Ned Devine actually covers residents of the Isle of Man, but whose counting. For a coming of age movie and book, watch "Circle of Friends ". Also available is "The Field" (nice and depressing) and of course Ryan's Daughter (equally depressing). Pierce Brosnan stars in "Evelyn" and recently released in the States but probably not yet on video is "Veronica Guerin" starring Cate Blanchett.

That should be a good start in addition to the others.

Bill
Jan 29th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Hi Talulah,

I'd vote for Roddy Doyle as well - particularly if you're going to be in Dublin.

My favourite Irish writer, however, is Flann O Brien. Try "At-Swim-Two-Birds","The Dalkey Archive" or "The Third Policeman" - all mind-bogglingly imaginative, wildly surreal, hysterically funny &, most of all, Irish through & through.
Jan 29th, 2004, 06:06 PM

If watching The Commitments puts you in the mood for some Irish Rock dust off some Rory Gallegher.
Jan 29th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Books: "The Big Wind" and Thomas Cahill's "How the Irish Saved Civilization"
Jan 30th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Watch "The Field" before you tour the west coast of Ireland! Wonderful!
Jan 30th, 2004, 05:38 AM

I'll suggest something more classic like "Dubliner's" by James Joyce. An easy read as it is a collection of 15 short stories. A much easier read than some of his later work like "Portrait of an artist..." and "Finnegan's Wake."
Jan 30th, 2004, 06:35 AM

I'd suggest Roddy Doyle's Barrytown Trilogy, which is The Commitments, The Van and The Snapper, his 3 books about a northside Dublin family, in one book. This would make great plane reading, IMHO. A Star Called Henry is wonderful historical fiction, good if you're going to be in Dublin, also by Doyle.

I also like Colin Batemen, who is a N. Ireland writer, in the same vein as Doyle but more of a crime/thriller type. Great page turners!
Jan 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM

I, too, am disappointed to hear that Ned Devine was not filmed in Ireland, but it certainly is an Irish film in every other aspect.

Just thought of another charming Irish (and I hope it was indeed filmed in Ireland!) film to rent, The Secret of Roan Innish, a kind of fantasy for grown ups!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO