Search

Book hotels(or B & B's) ahead or ......

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2005, 05:25 AM
ajm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Book hotels(or B & B's) ahead or ......

Once again, this venue for gathering information for a trip is outstanding. My partner and I will be in southern Germany from June 25 through July 5. Based on everyone else's experiences and recommendations, we will spend 3 nights in Munich and then head out in a rental car. Our plan is to head to Fuessen, take the "Romantic Road" north and end up in mid week in Koln. From there, we will go south all the way to Lake Constance, stopping in Rothenburg, Heidelberg, and various spots along the Rhine. On our way back to Munich we will stop at Dachau. My question is should we book all of our accomodations prior to our trip? We would like the oppurtunity of staying longer in a place we like, even though this may chnage our itinerary. Most of our European vacations have been in the late fall or winter when there is less competition for rooms. So far, the only rooms we have booked are in Munich.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:47 AM
rex

Pagiarizing myself, from an earlier post, which you can read in its entirety, if you wish - -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34557708

All the people who provide and receive advice on this forum will thank you for NOT making reservations in advance - - you won't be competing with "us" for the accommodations with the best locations, the best features and the best rates that "we" snarf up by making reservations in advance. We appreciate your settling for the places in the less ideal locations, with the crummier features, at the higher rates.

Cynical of me to say it this way - - but I think you get what I'm trying to say....

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM
rex

And now I see that you have asked (more or less) the same question twice in a short period of time. Perhaps you couldn't tell if it "took", or were puzzled where your post was. Remember to "refresh" from time to time (f5) in Windows...

... and as more posts are added over the next hour... and next 24 hours... your post will be come all the more challenging to find.

Additionally, I see that you are "somewhat new" here - - how do I know that? just "click on your own name" (upper lefthand corner, once you are logged in) - - this is a valuable tip that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that e-mail confirming your registration.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To me the answer to pre-booking or not is simple and two part IMO based on *time* and *flexibility*...

are you are willing to spend possibly a chunk of your vacation time looking for a place to sleep that night (without feeling grumpy about it). You could get lucky or it could turn into a chore, no way to say for sure.

The other part of the equasion is how flexible you are about what kind of place you will stay (i.e., taking something not as nice as you had hoped or more expensive than you expected to pay).

Old May 24th, 2005, 07:26 PM
rex

topping... hoping you find this... or your "other" post (has answers also).
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:21 PM
MalTru

As someone who works in the hotel industry, I would say make a reservation.You miss out on good deals by waiting until the last minute.