Book all Lodging in Advance? - Summer UK Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're traveling to Scotland (Skye, Highlands and Edinburgh) then on to England (Lake District and London). I've been working to book accomodations in the big cities. However, a family member has suggested leaving some of the countryside accomodations open (more flexibility if the weather is bad, etc.). Is this a risk in the high season? I'm so used to to traveling in the US in the summer. If you don't have everything booked late spring, you're out of luck.

Thanks for any guidance!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I would book if I were you. Like you said, it's high season then and.... people will be scrambling to book all their hotels and B&Bs at the same time. So it would pay off to lose flexibility in your schedule but you'll get assurance that you'll have somewhere to stay.

Besides, most of the time if you arrive without a reservation, the price will most likely be much higher than one that was boooked months before.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't say when your trip is. Makes a huge difference. If you are from the States we tend to think of "summer" as Memorial Day to Labor Day. Well June is not summer in the UK. And even early July isn't yet high season. Late July and August (when the kids are out of school) is the busiest time.

&quot;<i>most of the time if you arrive without a reservation, the price will most likely be much higher than one that was boooked months before. </i>&quot; Absolutely not true if you are talking about B&amp;Bs, guest houses, and small hotels. Large hotel chains may have internet specials that are cheaper than walk up rates - but otherwise you won't pay more whichever way you decide to go.

Tell us the dates of your trip and we can give you a better idea. Also, how many are you? If just a couple, it is easier to find rooms on the fly than if you need a family room or 3 rooms in the same place.

I would definitely pre-book for Edinburgh. But for other places there is the wonderful &quot;book a bed ahead&quot; scheme from all the tourist information centers. Most towns have TICs where you can drop in, tell them what area you are traveling to, give them your requirements and budget and they will call ahead to the TIC there and book a room for you. So you can sort of have it both ways - be able to change your route as you go and still have a room when you arrive.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:44 AM

On our 5 three-week holidays in the UK, we did not book ahead - except for our stay in London - and for the very reason that you cite: (more flexibility if the weather is bad, etc.)

We came prepared with lists of B&amp;B options so we weren't totally in the dark. Also, we'd start a search in the early afternoon of our arrival in the area, often visiting the Tourist Office in town first and having them help us in making a selection.

Having this flexibility of movement was very important to us and it was possible because there are so many B&amp;B's located throughout the UK.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Unless there's somewhere you really want to stay, don't book. If there is, book.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling between June 20th and July 14th. There are four of us, two adults and two kids. Does this change the book as you go strategy in the countryside (scottish Highlands and Lake District)?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

..I should have metioned, we are interested in B&amp;Bs and Guest houses as the primary type of accomodation.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Really, you don't need to book. If you're nervous you can use the Tourist Board's &quot;book a bed ahead&quot; scheme.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For that period Othere than Edinburgh, I wouldn't book ahead unless there are specific properties you want to stay. Or I might pre-book the Fri/Sat nights and leave the weekdays open.

As we mentioned - the TIC's will find you places along your route. I usually use them to book one or two nights ahead after I'm sure which way I'm going. That way I flexibility to stay longer or move on, and also can go where the weather takes me.

So say you are on Skye and know the next day you want to stay somewhere near Dingwall - you'd go in to the TIC in Broadford or Kyle and tell them you need a family room w/ bath for X amount in Dingwall/Strathpeffer/Beauly or nearby and then go out and sightsee. Come back to the TIC in a couple of hours and they will have booked a place for you and got you directions/phone number etc.

You don't lose any touring time looking for a place and already know it will be in your budget.