Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Book a car online or wait until I get there?

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be renting a car to pick up at the Malaga Train station. Should I book ahead online or wait until I get there? I have been checking the online sites and it is so difficult to compare because some include insurance, some don't, etc, etc. The prices are all over the place too. I'm thinking it will be easier to discuss all the particulars face to face with a person. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM

It is almost NEVER a good idea to wait until you get there to book a car. You will almost inevitably pay WAY more. Also, unless you're fluent in the language, how are you going to deal with them? What if the car breaks down and you need to call them for help? Can you read and understand the contract? NOT a good idea. If you go through a broker like AutoEurope or Kemwel you have all kinds of available assistance and back-up.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Try www.doyouspain.com for your car. Bear in mind that they operate a full to empty po9licy, so you'll need to be sure that you'll use a full tank during your hire period.

Also see this website for info on who rents cars at Malaga Train Station: http://www.malagaweb.com/transport/m...in-station.php

Do book in advance, you'll save time and money.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Yes, what StCirq said.
Do not book it online---call 888-223-5555
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Yes, it's not as though the options are online versus do it once you get to Spain. Just pick up the phone and call and ask all your questions.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the good advice! For some reason renting cars is always a nightmare for me. I have no problems with flights, train tickets, apartments, etc., but trying to figure out exactly what I am getting when I rent a car is always baffling. I guess because each company have their own policies and it's always a different set of circumstances and rules. Anyway, I will keep at it and definately reserve online or on the phone ahead of time. Thanks again.