Bon Voyage, MelissaHI and others!

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bon Voyage, MelissaHI and others!

Hey Melissa -

Have a wonderful time in Paris! We will all be waiting anxiously for that GTG report!

And to the others joining Melissa for the GTG, y'all be good now! \/

Au revoir!

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM

My wishes to you also MelissaH for a wonderful time in Paris! Enjoy your Oct. 1st dinner. I do hope photos can be taken.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Bon Voyage Melissa and others who are going. Wish I were.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM

Hey Melissa-

Have a great time!

Who are you meeting up with at the GTG?
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Merci! And je vien d'arrivee!!!

I arrived today and immediately went shopping at Rue St. Honore.

OMG chepar.....this friend is another TCFH, she doesn't seem to "get" that when you travel, you need to respect the other culture and try not to insult them? we ate lunch today and she refused to eat her food. I tasted it, and I swear it tasted normal--not overly spiced or vinegars or anything, just normal. She made like she was going to hurl and she made fun of everything, loudly. I kept telling her to keep it down and try to respect the culture...we're not in America anymore....but she felt like, "Well, if I don't like it, there's nothing wrong...not EVERYONE can like everything they do!" Which is true, but wait till you get home to make fun.

I cancelled her & her daughter's dinner reservations and left them sleeping in the room (the hotel, which she complained about) and had a lovely dinner myself at Le Violon d'Ingres. I got a photo with me and the very gracious owners.

7th Arrondissement. I'm home. And I swear it's not because of the Eiffel Tower in the neighborhood. The weather was supposed to be rainy, but it went from cold in the am. to hot & sunny in the afternoon, then only rainy at dinner time.

Looking forward to the GTG tomorrow with Cookie, Amy Cox, SeaUrchin, and Barb. Yeah!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Ah MelissaH, have fun at the dinner tomorrow night!! And give the gang my "hello". Just received another email from SeaUrchin which is so much fun! Sorry that you had a problem with your companions, that is not fun. But know you will enjoy your GTG.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:03 AM

Hi Melissa!

I emailed you this morning, as I didn't remember your travel dates! Have a wonderful time!!! Hang in there with your TCFH!

Monica
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:17 AM

So much fun hearing your "on the spot" reports. I can sympathize with you about you TCFH - I had one of those for five looooooong weeks in France. Constantly complained about every single thing.

When we got home, (separately as we split up five weeks into our six week trip HORRRRRAY.....), a friend called and said that TCFH must have had a fantastic time because she told someone else that it was a 'good' trip.

It's 6:15PM in Paris now, so I guess that you are getting ready for Jim's soiree - enjoy. Anxiously awaiting your report as we will meet him on Christmas Eve.

Lucky you, in Paris AND a GTG.

Nina

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:22 PM

Well, I lost her for 4 hours today! I was supposed to pick them up at Champ de Mars at 2 (if not 2, then 3) but we kept missing each other. I finally gave up and figured they had gone on to the Louvre, so i went to the D'Orsay. My first time! I went straight to the special temporary exhibit of Carriere and Rodin, but let me warn you--it was kind of disturbing or something. I should have explored the 1st floor, then the 5th floor (Impressionists), THEN if I had time, the 2nd floor. Carriere, especially, was just a downer.

Today Mairie de Paris held a "Familathon" in the Champ de Mars. It was huge--a big stage where they had gymnastics demonstrations with local clubs, acrobats, mini race cars (apparently the toddlers have to drive STANDARD), donkey rides, balloons, a health & wellness expo, and more. Much much more. There were even firemen & EMD crews on hand to let kids sit in the emergency vehicles and try their aim with the water hose at a fake house. I ended up buying fundraiser brioche (France's version of fundraiser sweetbread) to benefit mentally handicapped kids.

The city of Paris put this big event on and you could see that a lot of money & organization went into this family day. As I walked away, reflecting on what Paris does for its citizens and the cool things Chicago does for its citizens, I couldn't help but mutter, "My city sucks." I'll think about this tomorrow as I eat my fundraiser brioche and Nutella.

Anyway, I was just about to leave a note for them before leaving for Jim Haynes....when they busted through the door! They had been waiting for me for 4 hours, and we apparently were in the designated spot but never saw each other??? How can that be? She was upset that she had done nothing all day.

Met SeaUrchin, Barb, AmyLCox....but no Cookie at Jim Haynes. I shook Barb's hand, as promised, because I just adore her trip report. Nancy & I traded more ghost stories. Amy was so charming in her first time as a solo traveler in Paris. I am ashamed to say that I forgot my Fodors pin on my bedroom bureau at home.

What a lovely party! It's not as easy to mingle as one might think. There are many people who speak French and you need to figure out who exactly speaks each others' language. We'll be posting photos soon.

Anyway, I need to go to bed soon as we leave for Chinon in the morning. Au revoir for now.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Toddlers driving cars? Yikes!

We've got sheep races for the kiddos here in Texas, and that's pretty strange. But cars?

Did they really just sit there for 4 hours? Unreal. I had to laugh at your "busted through the door". First thing I thought of was Kramer busting through Jerry's door on Seinfeld, lol!

How fun is that to have a GTG is Paris!

Aloha!

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM

I hope that the little tykes were talking on their cell phones as they drove - it's hard to talk on your cell and shift at the same time (don't ask me how I know)

So glad that you enjoyed Jim's soiree. Hopefully you were able to loose ... or because you are in France - Toulouse, TCFH in the crowd - what did they think of it?

Nina
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM

Melissa-

Yikes! Another TCFH - I feel for you.

At least you were able to get a few hours away - although the reunion later is invariably a bummer.

Loving your on the spot trip report - and you're making me jealous - I was just in Paris a few months ago and am missing it already.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM

I had a wonderful time at Jims dinner too, so much fun meeting interesting people from all over the world

Great to meet Melissa and Jim himself, what a character and Amy

I really recommend the soiree for a lovely easy evening in Paris! Met a nuclear physis, furniture designer, airline pilot for Alaska Air, AF flight attend, a few authors, etc
I would love to meet them all again

In Nice now having a ball

Flew down here with most of the Cuban band from Buena Vista Social Club

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM

For those of you into France's history, Chinon is a must. Who knew? This is where it all started for Joan of Arc after she started hearing voices...God's voice, that is, telling her to form an army and help Charles get crowned as king. She came to Chinon, made it to the castle, lobbied the king for an army, and drilled there. From there she went on to win many battles.

Chinon was a preferred spot for the royalty for a long time, so one would THINK it would have become the capital of France, but eventually that went to Paris. Chinon is now an out-of-the-way town with just 10,000 people and 4 taxis.

the wine in chinon runs the gamut from light and fruity to full bodied, and all are tasty. I could drink every single one, they are all so lovely. They also specialize in preserved pears. Lesson #1 in traveling to chinon, however: Don't go after September! Everything pretty much closes up after that and there's not much in the way of commerce or activities.

Side note, after "Joan of Arc" this and "Joan of Arc" that, the daughter finally asked me at the end of the visit, "Who is Joan of Arc?" GASP!

SeaUrchin, no sign of a ghost at the Chateau de Marcay. Then again, I travel with Hawaiian salt as mentioned at the party!

Starting to wear thin here and even started talking in my sleep (a sign of stress). I'm pretty flabbergasted that these people, who travel a LOT (and I mean, they travel a LOT!!!) are not better companions. Why aren't there more signs in English? Why don't they speak English? Why do their Lays BBQ chips and Diet Cokes taste different? Why won't they take my American money? Their food is terrible--I want Italian or Japanese food.

I'm back in Paris now and had a fantabulous solo dinner at Le Relais de Entrecote. Had my steak "bleu" of course. Yum yum.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM

Aloha Melissa!

Sounds like you are doing well on your trip!! Keep posting your stories.

Have a great time!

Monica
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM

Aloha Melissa

TCFH, lol

Oh well at least the wine and food are great. Love reading your blow by blow reports.

No time for Mr Right in Paris? He's there, you just have to find him, lol

Aloha!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:49 AM

I bet your TCFH won't try foie gras!

Have a great day and write again soon.

Monica
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Oh Melissa.... Paris AGAIN! Lucky you! Sounds like you're having a great time, except for the TCFH
I'm really enjoying your updates, just wishing I were there for a GTG..... oh well maybe Cape Town one of these days..... or London, or Italy, or or or....
Keep smiling and don't let those TCFH get to you
Cheers
Carol
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM

hahaha thank you for your good wishes. Internet was down yesterday so I could not post.

I stayed true to my ONE promise that I made them before the trip....that in Paris, I would walk their a**es off! Yesterday we had a lovely brunch at Laduree, then shopped a little at Fauchon, then Longchamps. Can anyone verify for me that Longchamps in Paris is cheaper than buying in the states?

From there we walked the entire length of the Tuilieries. It was a lovely sunny day AGAIN! True to kid form, the daughter asked (as we were 2/3 the length of the gardens), "Are we there yet?!" I asked, "Did your a** fall off yet?" She said, "No." I replied, "Then, no!" hahahahahaaaaaa

walked them into my secret side entrance to the Louvre and left them there. I took the time to treat myself to shoes & fashions on Chausee d'Antin, then met them at the Notre Dame a few hours later. It was good timing--there was a service going on and they could stay to watch some of that.

From there we went to my favorite area for cheap souvenirs, to the left of the Notre Dame. Boy, did they go to town with the souvenirs! They tend to buy things as they see them, which resulted in a $15 snowglobe at the beginning of the trip. At this souvenir area, however, they found that they could get a similar snowglobe for just 2.50! I had warned them to shop around first.....ah well. Not my problem.

Then, we went walking through the area. I took the route that elberko and elvira took me on when we had our GTG a few years ago. The route had us end up at Creperie des Artes, located on rue St. Andre des Artes. I am sad to say--elberko & elvira, if you are reading this--the miniature alcohol emporium that was next door to the creperie is no more. It has been about 4-5 years after all, but I was bummed out nevertheless.

I was relieved that they enjoyed their crepes, and even ordered seconds.

Today we wandered the Marais. Prior to that, we picked up some gourmet gifts on the rue Cler. The hot guy (think Hugh Jackman-esque) at the "Fines Epices" store seemed a little rude, claiming he learned his English from his customers "since you will not speak French." He was so good looking, though, I didn't know whether to jump his bones or slap his face.

At Oliviers & Co, as I bought my truffle oil, the fun (not as hot) guy behind the counter claimed that if I cook with truffles, I'd get a man. Well, more literally, if I cook with truffles for my man, he'd ask me to marry him. How did he know I'm looking? And more freakily--how did I know what he was saying, since his whole monologue was in French?

From there, we wandered the Marais and had a very nice shopping day at BHV, Cacao et Chocolat, Mariage, and more.

We are off to Galleries Lafayette now, will post later. A bientot mon amis!!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM

p.s. Mischka, I am saving my Delta & United miles like a miser, for my Cape Town trip!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -