Search

Bombay Dreams: Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM
DMG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bombay Dreams: Good or bad?

I mentioned to someone that we might see Bombay Dreams when we are in London. She said "everyone thought it was lousy and walked out." I know the reviews we're great, but they didn't sound that bad. Have you seen the show and what did you think? It's one of the only shows playing on Sunday.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:26 PM

We saw the play last summer. We had wonderful seats, 3rd row near the center. It was the opinion of those around us that they didn't like it much. We really weren't impressed, either. We felt all the songs sounded alike and the story line was rather thin. That said, I've heard some people say they've enjoyed it and it seems to be filling the theater or it wouldn't still be playing after one year.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:44 PM

I think it is amazing how this show is lasting. I have talked to probably a dozen or more people who saw it and none of them enjoyed it. The reviews were not all that good. But somehow the fact than Andrew Lloyd Weber backed this show (which otherwise he had nothing to do with) seems to make it a favorite with tour groups and it still keeps going strong.

While I'm an avid theatre going, I couldn't find it in myself to spend even the half price for tickets to go see this show.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:45 AM

When I saw it last year, the audience was very receptive and most seemed to be having a good time. I thought it was a lot of fun...a typical big, splashy musical. It helps if you understand the Bollywood theater industry and the genre of it's films. By the way, it is coming to New York soon.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:52 AM

Loved it - and I'm Anglo. We had a wonderful meal at Masala Zone beforehand and then hit another bar for Lal Toofan beers afterwards . . . great dance sequences in the show. I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of cha though
; )
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:45 AM

My fella took me to see it in the West End for my birthday last year (Oct) and to be honest it would not have been my first choice.Having said that it's very colourful, the musicians were amazing as are the dancers. I'd never really heard much indian music, apart from what I'd heard playing in the background of my favourite Indian restaurant, however my feet didn't stop tapping from start to finish.The story was a bit weak in places but I'm a sucker for the poor boy falls for the rich girl story.
I had the added bonus that the cast, who were in it at the time, were still quite well known but that may have changed by now. I'm no expert but as shows go I didn't feel it was that bad that I had to walk out.

I hope you enjoy it if you go!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:24 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I meant to say originally that I knew the reviews were NOT great, but not that bad either.

It was interesting to hear that the show is coming to Broadway in the Spring. Someone must think its good enough to import such a large production.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Mistakes happen all the time. That show is a dog!