Search

BofA Customers - ATM, Recent returnees

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BofA Customers - ATM, Recent returnees

Hi,

We will be in Italy on multiple cruise stops in a few months. Looking to hear from people that have recently returned from Italy that are Bank of America customers and used your BofA ATM card there.

Did you or did you not get charged a $5 per transaction fee and/or the 1% conversion fee at either a Deutsche Bank or Barclays ATMs?

Per BofA website, the Global Alliance no fee is suppose to only apply in the partner bank's home country. I've seen conflicting reports if this is really true. So, . . . looking for real life data from people who have recently returned.

Thanks in advance!

Old May 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Brentp,

I was in Italy about 3 weeks ago and, being a BofA customer, I made a point of trying to use Deutsche Bank for each of my ATM transactions.

Each one came with the $5 US charge and the 1% conversion fee. FYI, the fees at a Unicredit ATM were also the same.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM

This ticks me off - I opened a BofA account with an ATM card specifically for our upcoming trip, and was told by the bank representative that if we used a bank in their "Global ATM Alliance" there would be NO fees (I understood that to mean no service charges for using the ATM machine - there would still be a conversion fee). I just double checked on the BofA website, and it states (I copied and pasted directly from their website):

Bank of America | Checking and Savings | Contact Us
Travelling Internationally?
Use your ATM card or Check Card within our Global ATM Alliance in the countries shown with no fees.

Barclays (United Kingdom)
BNP Paribas (France)
China Construction Bank (China)
Deutsche Bank: (Germany)
Satander Serfin (Mexico)
Scotiabank (Canada)
Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)

I don't get it - why are people still getting charged $5 per transaction when using the above listed banks? I think MichaelT has a good argument for a refund.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Attnymom, they aren't. MichaelT clearly says he was charged for using a Deutschebank in Italy -- I don't see that on the list -- only Deutschebank in Germany.

A year or two ago BofA changed their "free" ATM services to just their partners when used in their own "home" country. The list you have written is correct and for those banks in those countries, there will be no $5 fee.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM

But then of course a Deutsche Bank card can (obviously) be used at Deutsche Bank ATMs in Italy for free. As it also can at Scotiabank in Mexico and at Barclays is African countries!

Obviously the term alliance doesn't mean the rules are the same at every Bank. Even worse a Deutsche Bank card uses a better exchange rate than BoA (and Westpac) cards in foreign countries. Check the rules first.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM

Thanks NeoPatrick for clearing that up - that does make sense. I didn't catch that he used it only in Italy. I need to read posts a little more carefully in the future!
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
Sallygirl42

I used a BNP Paribas ATM in Paris a few weeks ago, no fee.

Old May 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM

>I was in Italy about 3 weeks ago and, being a BofA customer, I made a point of trying to use Deutsche Bank for each of my ATM transactions.

Each one came with the $5 US charge and the 1% conversion fee.<

This was my experience, as well. I also used my card at Banco di Roma -- same fees. So, use your BofA card at any ATM. The fees will be the same, as far as I know.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM

I don't know about checking account, but my BofA World Points Mastercard charges $10 for ATM withdrawals. Also 3% on all foreign transactions. Needless to say, I do not use this card outside the US anymore.

It is also good to tell your bank you are traveling and also know your daily limits.

Happy travels
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM

We got charged for using the Deutschebank ATM in Florence two years ago. There is no global alliance with B of A there.