Bobthenav/Tuscany experts -- Palazzo del Capitano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I've read your reviews of the Palazzo del Capitano, and am considering staying there for our trip in Sept.

My concern with this property is that it's in town -- My original plan was to stay at a B&B at a farmhouse in the country -- was looking into locanda la bandita -- but am worried it will be a bit too rustic (per a reviews on this site). Also looked at Malvarina, but I really think it's too far out -- would like to stay in southern Tuscany for our first trip there.

My question to you is --

1. The Capitano's website shows a "garden" area that looks very beautiful -- doesn't seem to be in a city at all. Are the pictures accurate?

2. We'd like to do some hikng/biking/horseback riding. Is it a hassle to do these sort of excursions from within the city?

3. Do you -- or does anyone -- have suggestions for a more rural b&b/farmstay in this area? (I've looked into the following -- comments on these properties would be appreciated) I'd like to spend around $160USD per night or less -- may stay for a week.

a. Villa Cicolina -- Montepulciano area -- my worry with this is that there's no restaurant here

b. Locanda la Bandita -- too rustic?

Thank you so much,
De Anna
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM

My husband and I stayed at Palazzo del Capitano last October during part of our honeymoon. As I indicated on previous posts, we absolutely loved it. I too, did not picture staying at a hotel in town, but the place quickly won me over. The garden area is as pictured on their web site...and I think the rooms are even nicer. We didn't spend much time back there during the day, but a few nights we enjoyed spending time in the garden after dinner with a glass of wine.

Will you have a rental car while you are there? If so, I can't imagine why it would be a hassle to hike, horseback ride, etc. I would suggest you contact the hotel regarding the activities you are interested in before you go to see if they have any suggestions or can make arrangements for you.

Go and enjoy....it really is a lovely place. If you have any further questions about the hotel I would be more than happy to answer them.

Michelle
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michelle, for the reassurance about the hotel's grounds.

I still really have my heart set on a country b&b or farmstay in that area, so if anyone has comments on the two I mentioned above, or has other suggestions, please let me know.

Michelle -- One more question -- Capitano's website says you share a pool with another facility -- did you use the pool, and if so, was it convenient?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:02 AM

The age old question--the convenience of in town or the serenity of rural landscape. Only you can answer that one. There are probably 50 rural places within :30 of that location. Go to tuscany.net and look at San Fabiano, La Crociana, Castel Bigozzi, or Borgo Argenina for starters.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM

No, we did not use the pool. The weather when we went was perfect but not swimming weather....probably in the high 60s/low 70s while we were there.