Boboli Gardens worth it?

Search

Boboli Gardens worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boboli Gardens worth it?

Has anyone ever been to the Boboli Gardens in Florence and if so, is it worth the money and time?
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, and no.

a more detailed answer is that they were a bugger to find, badly maintained, not that much there in the first place, and expensive for what they were.

regards, ann
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM

I agree with annhig. The views are beautiful, but you can get the same views in Fiesole and have a lot more interesting things to see there.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM

It "can" be made into a nice garden, but it was not maintained well.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It would also depend on the time of year.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM

I enjoyed the afternoon we spent there - it was a break from the city, quiet and green. I don't remember having any trouble finding it.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM

Great views out over Florence but not a lot to the "gardens" - and we were there in late May.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM

not worth it in my opinion, though I thought easily found, just behind the Pitti Palace. Lots of steep uphill walking, and really not much to see once you get up there.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM

Agree with other postings, this garden is disgracefully negelected considering the income this complex generates - though better than it was. Some of the statues are beautiful and often set in grottoes or fountains also worth a look. One of the problems with this garden is that it is very large and it takes a long time to walk to the parts that interest. There is an historic Kaffee Haus in the gardens (left hand side of the main entrance and up the hill). It has a narrow balcony where you can sit and look over Florence. Really charming though whether you want to pay Euro 8 for that is the question. If you are interested in gardens I would suggest the immaculate gardens of the Villa Gamberaia, an iconic Renaissance garden, which is about an 8 km taxi ride away. Usually featured in most books about gardens in Italy; and really fascinating.
See http://catena.bgc.bard.edu/gamberaia/text.htm if you would like more information.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:37 AM

I agree that there are some great views to be had from the rose garden area, but overall the gardens are not well maintained. We were rather disappointed.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM

I agree with the others. I always wondered what was supposed to be so great about the gardens -- I kept thinking I must not be in the right part or something, but couldn't find anyplace that was special.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM

I liked several things about the gardens: they are a welcome respite from the hectic, crowded pace of Florence; the views of Florence are gorgeous; the peony garden was the most spectacular I've ever seen (we were there at the end of May, prime time for peonies); and there are some neat sculptures that are photo ops in themselves. I didn't regret my time spent there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:39 AM

aprillilacs, your name makes me think you would like gardens! DH and I spent at least an hour walking it and enjoyed the statues very much. We got turned around and couldn't find our way out though. Ended up in a residential area.

It has to be your call, thefengs-I thought Pitti was more interesting but felt seeing the gardens completed the tour. I was appalled/enthralled by the "keep up with the Medicis" mindset of the original owner. Are you trying to decide between the gardens and some other venue?
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM

there's a good crime novel set in the gardens - can't remember the name of the book but the body is found in one of the ponds!

perhaps it coloured my view of the gardens!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
ira

Hi TF,

>a more detailed answer is that they were a bugger to find, badly maintained, not that much there in the first place, and expensive for what they were.<

I agree.

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM

ira - i was about to agree with whoever you were agreeing with, then i realised - it was me!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:33 PM

Wow I am really surprised by the overall negative response to the garden. I have been there over and over again and think it is one of the best spots in Florence to walk, relax, and get some peace and quiet. When was everyone who commented on the state of the upkeep there? I think things have vastly improved the last several years. If you are serious about a visit to the Boboli, you should plan for it. Get a map of the garden, bring some water, and have a guide book that gives details of the sculpture and various separate gardens and greenhouses, etc. There are many fine and important sculptures throughout, some recently restored. There is the Limonaia where exhibits are usually held. The Porcelain museum is at the top of the garden in a lovely little garden of its own that was part of Michelangelo's defense design. The views of the valley there are fantastic. There is the amphitheater with the Egyptian obelisk. Two large fountains, one with many ornate sculptures. Plenty of quiet walking paths and places to "hide out" for a while, the grottoes, etc.... I could go on and on. I have to think that some of the non enjoyment of this amazing place has to come from lack of preparation. I agree - it can be a tough walk - if you are not ready for that, skip it - but besides the fact that I always find the above mentioned "Kaffee Haus" closed I think it is one of the best things about Florence!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM

My experience was in 1996, so a long time ago. The Boboli Gardens were my first Italian garden experience and I was HUGELY disappointed. We were there in mid-March, so I have no idea if there are supposed to be flowers there. Shabby, uninteresting, moldy, green reflecting pools, yuck.

I really liked the palace, but again was disappointed that the Costume Museum was closed. I would return and try for that again, but not the gardens.

LOVED the Villa d' Este (Tivoli) in Sept - now that's my idea of an Italian Renaissance garden!
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM

hi inflorence - we were there about 3 years ago - 2007 i think. no gardeners, no maps, and €8 each.

I agree with Dayle - the villa d'este was much better.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM

We were there last September and whilst I would not say don't go there , I don't feel you would miss much. We found it hot and a bit of a chore trudging up. Views were nice and some of the statues too but the garden didn't do anything for me. I agree with those who mentioned Villa D'Este at Tivoli. Lovely and highly recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -