Blue Grotto worth the trip

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:49 PM
xxx

Blue Grotto worth the trip

Thinking about Capri for a day - should I take the time and money to see the Blue Grotto?
What else is there to do on Capri for a day trip?
What is the cheapest and easiest way to get to the Grotto once you get off the ferry from Sorrento?
Know a site for ferry connections from Sorrento?
Thanks

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:09 PM
rb

Our family did a day tour from Rome to Capri. You take the vaparetto from Naples or Sorrento to Capri. We did go to the Blue Grotto and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, if you or anyone who you are traveling with are prone to motion sickness do not go! You must take a boat out to the grotto and then climb into a small dingy (two or three people with a guide).There is a long line of boats waiting to unload passengers into the small boats and so you are docked out in the gorgeous water but several of the passengers on our boat and other boats where sea sick. It was not a pretty site. And once you are out there it is difficult to be rescued from the situation. One woman was so sick on our boat that her entire day trip was spoiled afterwards. Also, if you are not comfortable climbing over the boat into a small boat it is not a good adventure. Once you are in the small boat you must all lie down flat to enter through the cave into the grotto. So you must be agile enough to lie back. I did see people of all ages at the Grotto and those who were not queasy were enjoying it. Once you get inside the grotto it is just an overwhelmingly beautiful experience. THe water is illuminated and the guides are all singing Italian songs. A typical Italian experience that overwhelms the senses. So...if you can handle all that is involved it is a lovely expereince. Be forwarned that you can only go to the grotto if the water is calm. So, you can't really plan it in advance. Also, the guides in the small boats that take you into the grotto do expect a tip. Capri is wonderful and even if you do not get to go to the grotto you will enjoy the beautiful views and the lemoncello.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:20 PM
xxx

Appreciate the helpful advice! Have never heard any warnings about motion sickness but that is good to know beforehand. YOu said that you can only go to the Grotto if the water is calm, was it that easy to get seasick on calmer water? HOw long is the wait to change boats? Think there will be as long a line in March? Easter?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
jahoulih

Here's a website with hydrofoil schedules:

http://www.massalubrense.it/aliscafi.htm

I enjoyed the Blue Grotto more than I thought I would. It's a unique experience, and the whole thing took less than two hours when I was there in September. Once you get off the hydrofoil from Sorrento, you'll easily find the booths where they sell tickets for the Blue Grotto excursion.

The other thing I enjoyed doing on Capri was hiking up to the Villa Jovis, the retreat of the Emperor Tiberius. The ruins aren't that impressive, but the views are spectacular.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:03 PM
rb

No matter how calm the water is you are still sitting in a small rocking boat- we had about an hour wait. While it didn't bother me or my husband it did make my daughter feel abit queasy. She just laid her head on my lap-and she is a gymnast who can do several backflips in a row...quite seriously...several people on our boat were seasick from the motion. We were there last April over the Easter holiday. It was fairly crowded. Our guide told us that it was the first time in quite a few days that they were able to go out to the grotto. The water has to be calm so that the boats can get through the grotto opening- it is not a large opening.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:10 PM
xxx

Great help from all - thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
xxx

jahoulih,
thanks for the website for ferries!
Do you know of a site that will show the ferry schedule for Capri to Naples? That site listed sorrento to capri and sorrento to naples but i couldn't find capri/naples.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:39 PM
jahoulih

Here you go:

http://www.capri.net/home/en/transport.php

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:54 PM
xxx

Merci
or
Grazie!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:15 PM
bonnie

I've heard from a few friends that it was a BIG disappointment. A wasted day, by the time you get there and wait around for "your turn."

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:56 PM
Sue

We did the Blue Grotto in September and it was wonderful! It had been pouring rain earlier that day (while we scampered around Pompeii), so when we arrived in Sorrento, the sun was out, and the crowds were nowhere to be seen! Even without lines, it was a real adventure. The captain of the boat that takes you out to the dinghy of death (my kids' term for them!) looked like an actor sent from Casting Central to pilot the boat, look tan, and be Italian! Think Anthony Quinn! Anyway, they take you out to the grotto and the transfer to the little rowboats is really wild! Our boat guy decided he wanted all 6 of us in his 4 person boat. I was pretty sure we were gonna tip and float to the bottom of the lovely blue water. Plus you have to pay to get on the first boat, pay when you transfer to the little boat, pay a tax at the entrance to the grotto, tip your rower, etc. Bring lots of lira and a sense of humor. We loved it, it was beautiful and unique, but it was a wild Italian sans-life jacket adventure! (All Italy disdains safety requirements! Phfft! Live life !)You'll never forget it. Especially if you hurl, tip, or the guide sings a really cheesy version of "Volare". It was wonderful. We drank huge drinks on the dock when we were done and we all laugh about the whole thing. Take the funicular up to the top of the island and enjoy being there. I love Capri!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
jj

I read somewhere about alternative grottoes -- a green grotto, etc. Does anyone have a comment on these compared to the Blue Grotto as to beauty, congestion, sea sickness, access, etc.?