Binz or Sellin on Island Ruegen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to visit the Island Ruegen this coming August. Which of the two towns would you recommend and why. We are young acting senior citizens. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:32 AM

I spent time with Fodors friends at the island Rügen two years ago end of May. We stayed in Sellin, which is relatively quiet, but offers everything you need - restaurants, some shops, a beach and a stop of the steam train. Binz is much more upscale and busy, has a long sea promenade to walk and do people watching ;-)

We had a car to get around, which is highly recommended for visiting places like the chalk cliffs north of Sassnitz, Putbus and smaller villages. But parking in towns like Binz is a hassle! August is peak season and I personally would prefer to stay in a quieter place like Sellin. For young acting senior citizens it might be different, though. (ha, sounds like I am an old acting mid-age citizen, lol)
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it. Any good four star hotel in Sellins you can recommend? Preferably on the beach/
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM
hsv

I haven't stayed at this particular hotel, but did stay at another property of the TravelCharme chain and think they offer quite a good standard.

http://www.travelcharme.com/kurhaus-....html?&L=1
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM

The hotel that hsv recommended should do fine for you. It's right on the cliff (escalator and stairs down to the beach). They have rooms with sea view. We had dinner there one night - excellent.

(Hi hsv!)

Ingo
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:19 AM
hsv

Hi Ingo,

just noticed that the former Communist Party haunt Cliff Hotel is in Sellin, too.
Have read reports that it has been renovated nicely (although the Porsche parking special on their German website looks quite nouveau riche to me). Any input on that one for Erika?

http://www.cliff-hotel.com/03_hotel/index.php