Bilbao Rental Car

Mar 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Bilbao Rental Car

I need to rent a car in Bilbao for a drive to San Sebastian. My plan is to use Europcar, pick up in Bilbao, drop off at San Sebastian railway station.
Looks like there is two Europcar locations in Bilbao. One at the rail station and one on Licenciado Poza. Which one is better? Do they both have the actual cars at the office location? I tried looking on Google Maps but I could spot where the rental cars are parked.
Mar 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Also, do those locations offer GPS as a feature in the car? If so, how much does that service typically run?
Mar 11th, 2011, 06:48 AM

You don´r really need to rent a car to drive to SS, there´s a very good bus service linking both cities many times a day. But, in case you need to or just want to, at the railway station they do have the cars there. Bilbao is very small and the distance from one location to the other is short.

Yes, they do offer a GPS, although routes and roads are very well signed.
Mar 13th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

OK. Sounds like I'll use the railway station. I am aware of the bus that runs to SS and normally would use it. But on our way to SS we intend to stop for lunch at Extebarri in Axpe. So we figured we would just go by car.
Mar 13th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Also, I read some articles from a few years ago that Spain was banning the use of GPS along with other eletronic devices in the car. This sounded odd to me, banning texting while driving, OK. But GPS? Is this true? Did this ever pan out in Spain? Can't find anything new on it.
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:45 AM

You cannot operate a GPS whilst driving ie add a destination etc. The screen must be placed in such a position that it does not affect your view out of the windows.
The use of them has not been banned
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:13 AM
ira

Hi h,

Have you checked to see if there is an extra charge for pickup at the train station?

Have you checked rates at www.autoeurope.com or www.kemwel.com?

Mar 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM

An old thread, but I see heeney is still active so I'd like to dredge this up.

We would like to rent a car in Bilbao (either at airport or train station), drive to Extebarri for lunch and then drop off the car in SS that same afternoon, preferably downtown near the train station. SS airport would be a 2nd choice.

heeney, how did this work for you? Which car company did you use? I saw somewhere that Europcar had closed their SS office at the rail station in the past year?

Anyway, thanks for any inputs.