Biking through the Tulips

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biking through the Tulips

Has anyone done this on their own? We will be based in Amsterdam in mid-April and really like the idea of renting a bike and bniking through Tulip fields and to Keukenhof Gardens.

Can this be done from Haarlem? How long should we allow for the entire trip?

I found some info on a route from Noordwijk, but having trouble finding info on how to get there by train.

Also, we nare not experienced bikers, but in fairly good shape -- my understanding is that this could be a good short to mid-length bike trip for us...
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:57 PM

Lastyear we had thought of a trip and I found Tulip Tours on the web. They rent bikes and will customize a do-it-yourself trip for you.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:36 AM

Try this website. It has a few words of info about the route you want. http://www2.holland.com/us/index.html?page=http://www2.holland.com/us/geninfo/travelinfo/holbike.html

Also, check out the Netherlands Rail website www.ns.nl

We're going to be there the last week of April but will be staying in a B&B just 1.5 km from Keukenhof, so will pick up all that info from our hosts when we get there.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:40 AM

Sorry, but the link doesn't go all the way to what I was looking at. Click on "more information about bicycling in Holland" at the bottom of the page and on the next page click on "Day Trips". It shows that the route you are thinking of is 19 miles.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:36 AM

To julies: Do you remember the website of Tulip Tours that you found in the web. I am interested and I tried searching the web but couldn't find that particular website.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:47 AM

http://www.tulipcycling.com/

We ended up not visiting the Netherlands (chose France instead) but had contact with the owner and he seemed quite agreeable and willing to work out anythin we wanted.

http://www.bootsnall.com/cgi-bin/gt/travelstories/europe/aug02bike.shtml

Also, look at this link to get some ideas.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! All those sites were helpful -- it seems like for what we want (just a one day trip from Amsterdam), the best thing may be to check in with the VVV Tourist office when we land at Schipol and get maps and info there.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I was in Amsterdam mid-April last year, and had my heart set on cycling thru the tulip fields too. However, the weather didn't cooperate. It was rainy, or there was a threat of rain most days, and the last thing I wanted to do was be stranded somewhere in a downpour. Instead I chose to visit Keukenhof - on a day that turned out to be sunny and magnificent - and it not only satisfied my desire to see tulips, but it most definitely exceeded my expectations - absolutely beautiful!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Actually I just remembered that we flew through Amsterdam at the end of April last year. When we stopped in Amsterdam it was freezing cold and raining. Not very appealing biking weather. When we went back through 2 weeks later it was actually clear so we could see and it was fun flying over the fields that were solid red or yellow.