Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Biking acceptable in the Bernese Oberland???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On one of the webs I found this: "biking in the Bernese Oberland is acceptable as long as you stay on a clearly marked biking path...".
So, does it mean that bikers are not welcome on the hiking paths and trails where biking along with hiking is physically doable? For instance, I believe that there is no any path clearly designated for biking en rout leading from Wengernalp to Kleine Scheidegg (if not so, there are at least some other places where it is). So, it turns out that I should change my plans and not do any biking in that area???? Or I just overreacted over "clearly marked biking path"???

Thanks for clarifications
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're overreacting. I've searched the internet and the German websites all mention biking between Kl. Scheidegg and Wengen. I also saw bikers on that same hike two years ago.

Not all hiking trails are made for bikes. But you'll be passing lots of hikers on your way to Kl. Scheidegg.

Write the tourism office in Grindelwald an email and ask for assurance. They will gladly give you more info on biking in the area.

Switzerland is biking heaven. It's a major hobby for many people. The Swiss just don't like when bikers do off-trail biking. It's not good for the vegetation.

You'll be amazed at how many harcore bikers you'll see here.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:16 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
schuler isn't kidding about hardcore bikers - we ran into some on the lower path between Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg one spring when the upper path was closed due to avalanche danger. We were struggling to stay upright on a steep slope when we ran into some bikers carrying their bikes!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions

I have searched the web and found a very useful link http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/index.p...n&L=1#1087 where posted detailed undulation-charted bike maps of Bernese Oberland the two of which comprise the routes I am considering.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip.

Don't forget to bring emergency raingear for any sudden mountain rainstorms.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Sure, I will not
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I remember clearly that in the Appenzell area where there are a lot of cows, many hiking trails had turnstile devices that would not allow bikes through. I'm trying to remember if I've also seen those in the Oberland area. If you run into them, you have to lift your bike up and over the fence, but I suppose that wouldn't be a great problem. I also thought they were there to discourage bike riders.