Bike Riding in Paris, part 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now that I've gotten excellent advice on this forum (no surprise) as to how to use the Velib bike system in Paris, I was hoping to get some advice on what it's like to actually ride bikes in Paris.

Are their bike paths along the Siene?

Are bikes allowed on pedestrian-only streets?

Are bike paths in the streets clearly marked?

Do I have to wait until I get to Paris to get one of those Velib bike path maps?

Any tips will be great appreciated...
Merci!

dina
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM

I was just in Paris and saw many bikers. It looked pretty harrowing on the major arteries, but the smaller streets could be fine. On Sunday, the Marais closes many streets (the little ones) to auto traffic. However, the amount of pedestrians AND bikers was daunting. Other less congested areas may do this, too.

I believe the bike paths along the Seine would be on the (busy) street next to the Seine, but I may be wrong.

Bike lanes are clearly marked on the major streets.

We saw a lot of people riding the Velib!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM

How it works:
http://www.en.velib.paris.fr/comment_ca_marche

Rules, etc:
http://www.paris-france.org/en/livin...ks/default.ASP

the map:
http://www.paris.fr/portail/viewmult...ument-id=66231

Other:
http://lifeinparis-musings.blogspot....-in-paris.html
Scroll down to the comments posted:
http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfr...bicycle-s.html

A "Must-See":
<b>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6yJrHlaym4</b>
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:59 AM

I noticed that the roads along the Seine were closed to vehicles on Sunday and there were many, many bikers riding along the river. It was late morning, mid-day when I was walking along.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Hi Dina:

Here is a link on Paris.fr to a PDF map with lots of info about the different bike routes, with photos of the signs that mark itineraries etc. It is the link under Actualités
marked: "Paris à vélo : le bon plan"

You didn't mention if you speak.read French, but if you click on my profile it has my email if I can help you at all.

http://www.paris.fr/portail/deplacem...t?page_id=9070
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

ok, travelnut -- that you tube video was scary! thanks for all the links, though.

jpie -- i'm so bummed i couldn't get that link to work. i tried a few times. it kept saying the server is not responding.

btw, i don't really speak/read french, but my teenage daughter is pretty fluent.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM

If you can open the link that I labeled 'map', that is what jpie was trying to get you to pull up as well.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM

We like to ride bikes in some places, have done a little in Amsterdam.. so when we're walking around in Paris, we tend to notice the traffic, how the bike lanes disappear, where the motorcycles and buses go, etc. I haven't warmed up to the idea of transversing Paris by bike. However, I might enjoy an afternoon on the paths in the Bois, or one of those Sunday deals where the quais are closed to vehicular traffic...
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut, we rode bikes around Florence, but stayed on the quieter streets and in the Oltrano section.
Was hoping the Siene had a long promenade wear people walked and biked....

Jpie- i sent you an email.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Last fall in Paris, my husband and I used the Velib bikes. On our first day, I was a little nervous/cautious getting used to the traffic in Paris. But I have to say, after that I had no qualms. I commute by bike in NYC and I was amazed at how much more respectful Parisienne motorists were towards bicycles. And I realize, my perspective on biking in a city could be very different from someone who has never had that experience.

There are bike paths along the Seine.

From what I remember, the streets that do have bike paths are clearly marked.

We never used bike maps- we just relied on our trusty Falk map to determine where we were going (we have both visited Paris several times before). The one thing you will want to pay attention to is where the Velib stations are located. The kiosks will have maps with Velib locations in the area indicated. This will come in handy when you are trying to return a Velib and all the spots are full.

I almost never used the Metro- instead relying on the Velibs to get from one place to the next. It's a really great way to experience the city. Have fun!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

lp_nyc-
thanks so much for your input. that sounds great. i did get a map from jpie that has streets with bike routes, and i think that will help a lot.
we spent a week in paris about 2 years ago, but we're pretty adventurous, so i hope we'll be okay.

did you just use am american express at the kiosk to rent the bikes?
there's a velib station right next to our apt, so i'm hoping we'll use the bikes a lot as well.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Too bad the cyclist in that video chose to violate practically every traffic law in the book -- especially failure to yield right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks, and to stop at red lights. The video probably ended when it did because the cyclist was creamed by a car in that last intersection!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:34 AM

Great info thanks everyone, I will be using this in a months time!! Schnauzer
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM

The police will pull you over for traffic violations (if they see you, of course). I saw one chastising two women off rue de Rivoli for some violation, going the wrong way or on the wrong side or something like that. You do need to learn any special road signage, and any regular road signage as well.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:12 AM

I found this link on a blog - it shows traffic signs, with a legend below the display for the explanation.
http://www.permis-conduire.org/signalisation.html