Beyond Budapest

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond Budapest

Will be in Budapest at the end of June for four days and would like to travel from there for some R&R, activity, and culture. Would you recommend Croatia or Slovenia and whereabouts i.n either. If you have a better idea than either of these two I am most interested to hear about them. I will have about 7 days for this part of my trip and would prefer to not move around from hotel to hotel.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM

I will tell you what we are doing. I haven't been before, but we will be in Budpest for four days. We are then flying to Zagreb on Malev airlines. You can take the bus but we want to minimize travel time so we are flying.

Then we have fashioned a seven day trip in Northern Croatia which is this: arrive Zagreb and pick up rental car, drive to Plitvice park for one night, drive to Rovinj for three nights, stay in the Zagreb area for three nights.

Now. We realize that we are not seeing Southern Croatia which is very popular. But this is just what we are doing.

You could also combine some of Slovenia with this itinerary. But from all of my research, I think you would have difficulty in seven days seeing Slovenia and Croatia in the South.

May I suggest a guide book that I purchased. Knopf Guides: Croatia and the Dalmatian Coast. It has many great itineries in Croatia. And if you pick one of the Northern ones you could easily see some of Slovenia.

Have a great time planning. By the way. I have found that Malev airline one way tickets are more easily purchased by calling them. They have an office located in Canada with a US toll free number. Just in case you consider flying.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Doh

Lake Balaton is very nice for R&R -- not sure about culture.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Afew years ago we spent a week driving around Slovnia & Istria. We began in Lljubljiana as 1 of our bases. Spent a day at Lake Bled and visited 2 of the famous caves in Slovenia and the Vintgar Gorge. We spent a day driving down the coast thru some lovely resort towns. We based ourselves in Rovinq and drove to Motovan (a hilltop town and a few others). It was fun & relaxing with just enough activity to not wear us out! Then we took a train to Venice for a cruise.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions - your itinerary soun ds great and one that we will consider!!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM

Let me just say that if you plan to take the car from Croatia to Slovenia it is worth a quick check with your car rental company about cross border permits.
Some companies are very strick about this.