Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tripping to Valencia from Madrid ( for the day?). Why not!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Virtually now with the frequently VERY cheap Ryanair flights one can come down to Valencia for the DAY from Madrid, going back on the last flight out.

www.ryanair.com

There were some 3 E flights lately.

The especially nice thing is the metro at the Valencia airport takes you all the way into town or even to the BEACH.

Have I tempted anyone yet?

Of course it would be better to stay awhile longer, but if you only have an extra day, this MIGHT be a fun trip for you!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM

I'm sorry, but when you factor in the time you have to spend going to and from the airport, at the airport, security check, check-in, it's pretty much a waste of a day. You would be far better off taking the train, then you only have to spend 5 hours round-trip, and if traveling in Preference class.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

The trains are 7.5 hours round trip unless they have changed the schedules. More than anything it is the cheap price that would possibly make this a possibility for that occasional tourist that just HAD to do it..

the flights 1.5-2 hours max.

Of course it is more cumbersome than going to the train station, but for domestic flights you don't need to be at the airport too horribly early since.. no luggage, online check-in, (but with ryanair you have to get your boarding pass "ok'd" at their office if you don't have an EU passport).

Anyway... getting their first flight out and last flight back would give you from 7.30 a.m til an hour before flight time (7.20 PM) in the city.

a good ten hours as I see it considering the proximity of the airport to the city.

Anyway.. not something I would do frequently.. but people do it all the time for business.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Actually, with cheap Ryanair/easyjet/jet2/etc. flights it opens up a whole new way of looking at getting from point A to point B.

Instead of flying Madrid-Milan, or Madrid-Londonfo example, if someone wanted to spend the day in Valencia they could do the same as mentioned above and take the latest flight out. Under normal circumstances that would have been prohibitive cost-wise, but now, I think one can include a crazy stopover here or there if they want to squeeze in something else.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM

The basic Ryanair headline price does not include extras like cc charges taxes etc etc.
And after the latest flight delays and them saying they want do not want pay out as per the law, then with drawing it. You have to ask yourself what sort of customer service does one get with this airline?
http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...y-ryanair.html
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM

Of course it is more cumbersome than going to the train station, but for domestic flights you don't need to be at the airport too horribly early since.. no luggage, online check-in, (but with ryanair you have to get your boarding pass "ok'd" at their office if you don't have an EU passport).

But security queues can take ages. and Ryanair will just leave you behind of you are a split second late.
Also don't forget to add the cost of travelling to and from the airport, espocially when flying early as you'll probably need a taxi
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

..just throwing out ideas here. Best to keep ALL these suggestions in mind. Where there's a will.. there's a way.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:22 AM

I have a carbon footprint problem with it.