Between Lisbon and the Algarve

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Between Lisbon and the Algarve

On our way back from the Algarve in early November, we'd like to stop for a walk/hike along the coast. We need to be in Lisbon by around 2 or 3pm, so it can only be for an hour or two, but wonder if anyone has found a good place with great views.
Wish we had time to do part of the Fisherman's trail....next trip!
Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 04:35 AM

Check out Praia do Amado (surfer's beach), Praia da Amalia (a little more hidden and wild beach with a waterfall), Portinho da Arrábida, and Praia de Galapinhos. But these are a very limited few and we have so many nice beaches here.. I'd take the whole day to just see the beaches.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I wish we had the whole day, but we will take what we can get!
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 10:56 AM

I know what you mean. You'll have fun either way
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 07:05 AM

We just returned and would highly recommend a stop at Praia da Galé. Mentioned in a recent NYT article, it was stunning.
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 10:01 PM

Consider Serpa if the ethnographic museum is open. It has good reviews from guidebooks, with the collection reorganized a few years ago, but it was closed in May because the building itself was being renovated.

Old Nov 1st, 2019, 07:05 AM

I would also recommend visiting Praia da Amalia or simply spending an hour or so exploring the outskirts of Lisbon itself and leaving hikes around Albufeira for upcoming journeys when more time is available.

A great idea would be stopping by the Cristo Rei, the imposing statue of Christ the King, and crossing the Portuguese version of the Golden Gate Bridge - Ponte 25 de Abril.

As for walking, the area of Lagoa de Albufeira boasts some scenic views nearby Lisbon as well.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Easy to find?

on our way to Lagos we tried to find Praia de Vale and gave up. We spent almost an hour getting lost, and it was so frustrating. I even had the times article with me! Wonder about a stop that is both well marked and not that far off the road that we spend more time getting there than enjoying it! Perhaps closer to Lisbon makes sense.