Search

Switzerland weather

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland weather

Hi,

I’ve booked an 9 day trip in Switzerland after finding very cheap tickets from the United States. I knew at the time that the first week of November isn’t the most ideal. Looking at upcoming weather, it’s showing rain pretty much the entire trip. Originally was hoping to visit some mountain top views like Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, and Matterhorn. With the amount of clouds/fog I’m not sure if it’s still worth visiting these or not. I’ve got a rail pass for the trip.

Should I think about changing my plans due to the daily rain, fog, and clouds?

Does anyone have any recommendations to help improve the overall trip with the current weather situation? I’ll mostly be based in the Lauterbrunnen area.

Thank you,
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 09:56 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We just returned from a month long stay in Switzerland - we had some spectacular weather as well as some rain. We too made the mistake of looking at the weather forecast before our trip - a heck of a lot more rain was predicted than we actually got.

I certainly wouldn't change your plans, just be flexible and decide what you want to do on the day. The weather can change every five minutes especially at elevation.

Take appropriate clothing and just go. You'll be glad you did.
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Next week? According to the Swiss Meteo forecast it will be overcast mostly in the plains, but sunny on the mountains. Rarely rain or snow. So make sure you go up!
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 04:15 AM

...but according to the same Swiss Meteo forecast, the probability of this prevision is extremely low. In other terms: nobody knows.

You would get more flexibility with a base at a transport/railway hub instead of a cul-de-sac like Lauterbrunnen
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 01:25 AM
kja

IMO: Zurich is underated; Lucerne is glorious; Bern is a gem; both Lugano and Maggiore Lakes offer wonderful options ... and you have a ton of other options! As experts have noted, the weather is unpredictable, so you would do well to have a back-up plan no matter what you do. And that can involve sitting on a train -- Switzerland's public transportation is incredible, and you could to much worse that sit on a train, in comfort, with views of stunning scenery on every side.

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend that you get a good guide book -- perhaps the Michelin Green. That would give you a wealth of information about what to do, indoors and out, in each location, as well as information about nearby options. And of course the sbb website is an extraordinarily informative web site!

My trip was at a different time of year, but FWIW, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...thanks-983126/

Last edited by kja; Nov 2nd, 2019 at 01:30 AM.