Better to rent car before departing?

Aug 29th, 1999, 06:18 PM
Eric

Better to rent car before departing?

The Fodor's guide to Ireland says it is far cheaper to rent a car before traveling ... the manager at our country manor suggests waiting until we arrive. Has anyone who has been to Ireland compared rates? We'll be in the Midlands, if that matters. Thanks in advance!

Aug 30th, 1999, 03:58 AM
Mary Ann

From everything I have read and discussed with Friends, renting before you leave is much cheaper. Check rates with Auto Europe or DER. Friends rented when they got to Ireland and later learned it was much more costly than if they would have made advance arrangements. I know with DER you must prepay before you go. However, there is no cancellation fee.

Aug 30th, 1999, 06:19 AM
elvira

We rented before we got to Dublin Airport, and got a good deal. Booked ahead, and paid in US$, was cheaper than if we'd done it on the spot.
I like to comparison shop, and doing it before I leave on a trip is a lot less stressful than trying to do it at the airport, with jet lag....

Aug 31st, 1999, 05:54 AM
Ed

Our experience is that it's cheaper to book ahead from the US ... sometimes by a factor of two or three.

Aug 31st, 1999, 10:14 AM
Marcia

If you happen to be flying Aer Lingus, they have a partnership with Avis. That was our best rate. You can check rates and coverage on the Aer Lingus website (not sure what the address is).

Oct 18th, 1999, 10:57 AM
Amy

We booked over the web ahead of time with AutoEurope. www.autoeurope.com Buy the extra insurance, you'll need it!

Oct 18th, 1999, 03:52 PM
Ed

Have not rented in Ireland, but in every other country the savings are great ... as much as $70 on a one day rental!

Dec 22nd, 1999, 08:59 AM
tina

DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ! Hertz quoted us a price in US dollars which we confirmed with a credit card. We waived our insurance since it was covered on our Mastercard (confirmed before we left). They claimed their computers were down and we could wait if we wanted for paperwork. We had already waited over an hour for them to confirm that our insurance was covered. (It was confirmed again). They gave us a car that was dented, missing parts and ran poorly. The side view mirrors did not work. We lost one side view mirror in our travels. Upon returning the car, their computers were down again, and we were told that the side view mirror was covered by insurance and we would not have to do anything other than sign a paper. Our bill arrived double the cost that we were quoted. They used an exchange rate of $1.79 although it was $1.35 when we were in Ireland and still near that mark. They billed us for the cost of the mirror and said their original quote had to be in Irish Pounds and not US dollars. (It was not.) We are at a stalemate with them and they will not budge. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM...COMPUTERS ARE DOWN... INSIST THEY GIVE YOU SIGNED HANDWRITTEN COPIES OF EVERYTHING.

Dec 22nd, 1999, 11:05 AM
Rex

All the advice above about saving money by renting before you go is right on the money. Just don't agree to any deals that aren't totally canceable right up to the last minute. I find it ALWAYS worthwhile to spend 5-10 minutes scouting the car rental counters for last-minute deals. You never know what you'll find. With your good pre-booked deal in hand, you're in the best possible position to find an even better deal!

And sorry to disagree with your ONE experience, Tina. Hertz has been nothing but the best for me, including two very good rentals in Europe this past fall (about 30% of my 20+ years of car rentals have been with my Hertz #1 gold card - - still not my favorite though - - I love Emerald Aisle!)

As far as Ireland, I was planning NOT to rent on a recent trip to Dublin, but thanks to a heavy rain (perhaps), the waiting in line (queue) for a taxi appeared to be over an hour. Murrays Europcar gave us a very good deal when I flashed my Emerald Club card (National). I didn't realize for almost 10 minutes that they were NOT a National affiliate! How funny! And anecdotally, the Hertz prices there were terrible, #1 Gold notwithstanding!

So, book ahead, and keep your eyes and ears open!

Best wishes,

Rex

Dec 22nd, 1999, 11:16 AM
Cathy

Eric,
Exactly where is the Midlands will you be ? Hamills Rent a Car have a toll free number in the States but I don't know it. They are based in the Midlands in Ireland but you can pick up at any airport - ring them from the States at 0035344 4 4500. Otherwise hire before you arrive. By the way the weather here at the moment is freezing, cold, wet, windy etc so don't plan on too much driving, Happy Christmas

Cathy

Dec 22nd, 1999, 11:43 AM
James

Be careful when renting a car in Ireland. The guide to coverage with my Gold Visa card says, "no coverage is provided for motor vehicles rented in Ireland,Israel, or Jamaica." My Gold Mastercard card to coverage says, "In general, coverage is accepted worldwide, but there are exceptions,
-You may experience an inability to use this service in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaaica and New Zealand, Please contact your RENTAL COMPANY before you travel."
Also be aware that my Gold Visa card allows 31 consecutive days outside the United States (15 days within), while the Gold Mastercard allows 15 days within the States, while making no mention of any longer term outside the states. The Visa card states that outside the states, insurance coverage is primary (secondary in the states) The Master card states that insurance is secondary in the states. No mention is made claiming to be primary abroad.

Check your coverage carefully,before you commit to a credit card.

Dec 22nd, 1999, 12:32 PM
rand

A couple of the 'certificates of insurance' from credit cards that I have read contain some sage advise. Be sure to carry a copy of this certificate with you for proof of insurance.

Dec 23rd, 1999, 05:37 AM
Patrick

Two years ago we rented from Dan Dooley in Dublin -- quite a large reputable firm and got a far better rate than Avis or Hertz. Also, we took the taxi into Dublin and didn't rent the car for four days until we were ready to leave Dublin. They would deliver the car to us, or we picked it up at their office, near our hotel. I reserved it well in advance and got an even better deal by prepaying on a credit card. Was a very good experience. They have a toll free number, if you want and have trouble finding it, I could look it up --email me if you like.