First trip to Italy

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:22 AM
Jeff Fishman

First trip to Italy

My family is going to Italy, first time, in June, 2000 for 2 weeks. any suggestions? Tips? Want to see all we can. Anyone know about tours at automobile historic sites? Hotel, travel and restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:41 AM
Marilyn Ham

We love Rome, Florence, and the hill towns, particularly Assisi. In Rome we've stayed at the Alimandi (near the Vatican) and the Hotel Margutta (near Piazza Del Poppolo). In Florence we liked the Casci. In Florence our favorite restaurant is La Maremma close to Santa Croce. In Assisi we've stayed at the Umbra--it's great. Marilyn

Dec 21st, 1999, 08:52 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jeff, That is like asking Alan Greenspan
how he feels about the economy. It takes
about 6 weeks to "see it all". I am going back for the 6th time in March and will spend 2 weeks south of Rome to
fill in my voids. You will need to be selective to optimize your trip. Start with a gross plan--you already have the WHEN & HOW LONG. The other biggies
are TRAVEL STYLE--BUDGET RANGE--MODE OF
TRANSPORT---INGRESS/EGRESS POINTS. You
cannot do it all, so pick a region and
go from there. If you pick NORTH, then
fly into and out of Milan, for instance
Tell us more and you will get more
definitive answers.

Dec 21st, 1999, 10:05 AM
Rex

Jeff,

I will answer your e-mail to me here.

Tell us more about your family.

Buy a book: Fodor's, Frommer's, Rick Steves, LonelyPlanet or more than one /all of them. Read them cover to cover. If you don't want to support the travel book industry, then go to the library.

Visit www.ricksteves.com and www.about.com - - the goal will be the same: read, read, read.

There are wonderful archived articles on www.bostonglobe.com and www.chicagotribune.com and the Sunday Times (London) just published a great 14 part series, called Passport to Italy (Nov 11). You have to register to retrieve it - - www.thetimes.co.uk - - but it's free.

I believe that there ARE tours of both Ferrari and Alfa Romeo (museum? factory? both? - - I'm not sure), and I will try to get back to you on this. If your trip takes you to the Italian riviera, there is the Musee de l'Automobile in Cannes or somewhere near there (less than one hour across the Italy-France border). For many automobile enthusiasts, the destination of choice is Stuttgart (I.e., Germany, not Italy) for both Porsche and Mercedes-Benz (museums).

As for hotel suggestions, www.italyhotel.com and www.karenbrown.com are two excellent places to start.

Don't feel intimidated by the many different levels of experience and knowledge that exist here.

But the more homework you do on your own, the more info you can get here in return.

Best wishes - - seasons greetings - -

and buon viaggi!

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Dec 23rd, 1999, 11:24 AM
elaine

Hi Jeff
I took my first trip to Italy in Oct 98.
Take the advice of limiting the geographic area, or I'm afraid all you will remember is how tired you were, how often you packed and unpacked, and how aggravating the bus/train/plane delays were.
If you think it would be helpful, you are welcome to email me and I will send you my sightseeing notes for Florence and Venice, which I visited in one 11-day trip.
Good luck.