Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Better to add a third day in Inverness or Oban/Mull base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2023, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tweaking my trip for late July. Right now my plan is to spend 2 nights in Inverness and 2 in Oban. I can free up one additional night, so should I spend it in Inverness or the Oban/Mull area? I'm open to changing my base from Oban, if there is a better location to explore nearby isles.

I appreciate your suggestions. Brother and I are early 70's and in decent shape, but our interests are in history, culture, whisky and sightseeing.

Last edited by jtmiller95; May 23rd, 2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 23rd, 2023, 09:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just quick- I assume you will have a car-right? If so, I personally would not spend ANY nights in Inverness. It is a busy commercial centre for all of the highlands but except for a semi-scenic river running through it is actually mostly traffic and shops. With a car you could stay in any of the smaller towns or villages in the area.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 09:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd respond the same way the other posters did on your TripAdvisor thread with the same question. Oban, definitely. In fact, what are your reasons for staying in Inverness in the first place? What does your overall plan for Scotland look like?

...our interests are in history, culture, whisky and sightseeing...

In which case - in my view - there are few areas in Scotland where all of those interests are better served.

Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/aovExsQQfQNcF1YN6

History - everything from the prehistoric to the present. Kilmartin Glen, an hour south of Oban, possesses the greatest collection of prehistoric sites on mainland Scotland; it's beautiful to boot. There are standing stones, historic homes, spectacular Duart Castle and more on Mull. The isle of Iona, accessed by passenger ferry from Fionnphort on Mull (or via "three island" tours from Oban) is the cradle of Scottish (and northern English) Christianity, and an incredibly evocative place. Clans and memories of the Jacobite risings everywhere, especially in pompous Inveraray Castle, home of the (loyalist) Campbells.

Culture - Highland and Gaelic culture, Victorian engineering, music... it's all there. What's your pleasure?

Whisky - Distilleries in Oban and Tobermory.

Sightseeing - OMG, where to begin?

Old May 24th, 2023, 09:46 AM

I had never been to Harrods, or to Selfridges either until briefly our last trip. Mostly I'm not interested in shopping, especially on vacation. Hannah thought I should at least see Harrods food hall, so we jumped off the bus on the way back from Serpentine Gallery.

Harrods is certainly quite a place, teeming with humanity and fabulous things to buy. We navigated past extravagantly overpriced purses and fellow tourists, some actual shoppers, never got above the ground floor. My goodness, that food hall. Imagine swanning in and ordering a picnic hamper. We didn't buy anything, but is worth peeking in if convenient.

Another day, on our way to Holland Park, we explored Selfridges a little bit. Quite a place. People watching, Hannah checking out the fashions with me sitting on thoughtfully provided couch. There was one rack in the luxury women's dresses area that fascinated three separate groups as I sat there. Later I investigated: a few slinky floor length, two-piece dresses, probably worn with minimal underwear and held together by a thin chain and some miracle of physics. I'm sure they look stunning on the right person. This section has one of each item on the rack to tempt the well-heeled buyer. You can rent clothing there, beautiful things, and in the basement you can buy previously owned clothing. The eco future. Many of the shoppers appeared to be Arabic or Asian. I bought a box of chocolates for my husband.

Old May 24th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Just quick- I assume you will have a car-right? If so, I personally would not spend ANY nights in Inverness. It is a busy commercial centre for all of the highlands but except for a semi-scenic river running through it is actually mostly traffic and shops. With a car you could stay in any of the smaller towns or villages in the area.
Thanks for the tip on Inverness. Of the small towns near there, do you have a couple of recommendations? We will be coming in from Aberdeen, via Glenfiddich, and leaving toward Oban. I am too concerned about Scotland's impaired driving laws to have to drive too far away from the pub.
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jtmiller95
Thanks for the tip on Inverness. Of the small towns near there, do you have a couple of recommendations? We will be coming in from Aberdeen, via Glenfiddich, and leaving toward Oban. I am too concerned about Scotland's impaired driving laws to have to drive too far away from the pub.
I wouldn't bother going all the way to Inverness, nor staying there. North of Aberdeen the lighthouse museum in Fraserburgh is remarkable, and from there you can take a beautiful drive along the coast through maritime towns like Buckie and Lossiemouth and then find digs in Elgin for a couple nights. (The ruins of Duffus castle are also memorable.) If you take the main road instead toward Elgin, ducking off the A96 and having a look at the grounds of the Strathisla and Glen Keith distilleries is worthwhile (maybe doing a tour if available) and also the main street in Keith is a granite icon. The Benromach distillery in Forres has a fascinating history, and even the now silent distillery of Dallas Dhu just south of Forres is starkly impressive. One nice drive is the back road, through Miltonduff, from Elgin to Forres that passes by Dallas Dhu on a narrow undulating road. This is beautiful territory.
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by stokebailey
I had never been to Harrods, or to Selfridges either until briefly our last trip. Mostly I'm not interested in shopping, especially on vacation. Hannah thought I should at least see Harrods food hall, so we jumped off the bus on the way back from Serpentine Gallery.

Harrods is certainly quite a place, teeming with humanity and fabulous things to buy. We navigated past extravagantly overpriced purses and fellow tourists, some actual shoppers, never got above the ground floor. My goodness, that food hall. Imagine swanning in and ordering a picnic hamper. We didn't buy anything, but is worth peeking in if convenient.

Another day, on our way to Holland Park, we explored Selfridges a little bit. Quite a place. People watching, Hannah checking out the fashions with me sitting on thoughtfully provided couch. There was one rack in the luxury women's dresses area that fascinated three separate groups as I sat there. Later I investigated: a few slinky floor length, two-piece dresses, probably worn with minimal underwear and held together by a thin chain and some miracle of physics. I'm sure they look stunning on the right person. This section has one of each item on the rack to tempt the well-heeled buyer. You can rent clothing there, beautiful things, and in the basement you can buy previously owned clothing. The eco future. Many of the shoppers appeared to be Arabic or Asian. I bought a box of chocolates for my husband.

i ‘think’ you meant to post this on your own TR??? Just a guess 😉
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:01 AM

Arrrgh! Thank you, Janis! When my post disappeared I wondered What the hey? So sorry!
I wish I had something worthwhile to add to this thread.
Old May 25th, 2023, 04:03 AM

We will be coming in from Aberdeen, via Glenfiddich, and leaving toward Oban. I am too concerned about Scotland's impaired driving laws to have to drive too far away from the pub.
If you are driving, and doing distillery tours they now offer a drivers package of the samples, so you can take them with you and enjoy at leisure. Do not even think about driving after sampling the wares. Scotland has the same rules as most of Europe with regard blood alcohol levels, and it doesn't take much to push you over the limit.
If you want to go to a pub and it is too far to walk use a taxi. Better safe than sorry and you can enjoy the pub more knowing you aren't driving back.
AS to your original question, more time in Oban without a doubt.
Old May 25th, 2023, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by jtmiller95

You could actually stay right in Dufftown - it makes a decent base. But if you wanted to be nearer Inverness, Culloden, Ft George etc - then Nairn, or Beauly, or anywhere on the Black Isle. This place is about a 15 minute walk from Culloden Battlefield (But it is very popular and does book up) Leanach Farm B&B (en-GB)