Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Better airport for incoming flight - ATL or CVG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to book my airfare and have a choice of flying home from Europe via Atlanta or Cincinnati. I've never flown internationally thru either, and was wondering if one is much worse or better than the other. The ATL connection is about 1:45 and Cinc is just a little longer. Both flights get me home within the same half hour. Airfare is identical. Just wondering if one of the airports should be avoided as far as passport control and layout are concerned. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and feel free to add luggage problems or anything else that might steer me to one airport or the other... thanks : )
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Nutella - I've done both. Last Oct. I came home through Cin. and almost missed my connection - they had to hold the flight for us. Our flight from Rome was late leaving and then apparently they had lots of incoming International flights arriving at the same time. Getting our luggage and going through customs, immigrations and security was a nightmare - we had to literally run to make our flight. LOTS of people were not going to make it and were frantically on their cell phones rebooking and trying to find places to stay that night. They were holding our flight for 11 people, but we were the only two that made it. Other than t, it was quite easy to find your way around, lol. Maybe this was an isolated incident - I hope so because I'm making the same connection in March.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Nutella - I've done both. Last Oct. I came home through Cin. and almost missed my connection - they had to hold the flight for us. Our flight from Rome was late leaving and then apparently they had lots of incoming International flights arriving at the same time. Getting our luggage and going through customs, immigrations and security was a nightmare - we had to literally run to make our flight. LOTS of people were not going to make their flights and were frantically on their cell phones rebooking and trying to find places to stay that night. They were holding our flight for 11 people, but we were the only two that made it. Other than that, it was quite easy to find our way around, lol. Maybe this was an isolated incident - I hope so because I'm making the same connection in March.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Sorry for the double post - they seemed to have been experiencing some technical difficulties just as I was posting my reply.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I've done both connections within the last year and could not say I noticed a dime's worth of difference between them. But if your layover is a few hours, CVG has much more interesting shops to while away the time.

I'd only try to avoid flying into a northern airport in the winter, so how did I manage to have to fly into O'hare next month???
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Barb and Jody! Wouldn't you know it, when I returned to the fares today the price of the Cincinnati flight had increased substantially, so looks like I'm going thru Atlanta!