Best WWII tour choices

Search

Best WWII tour choices

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2016, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best WWII tour choices

Looking for best way to see all of the WWII and related sites in Berlin in a day. I'm hoping to a full day tour, or half day tour with self guided. I want to see the populate attractions, but also perhaps some of the hidden gems.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 03:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Original Berlin Walks offers a Third Reich tour. Or perhaps your hotel concierge can arrange a private guide for a full day tour.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that seems like a great option.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another possibility:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Berlin/B...d488-3817REICH

But be aware that a lot of the stuff associated with the Nazi regime has disappeared completely. The "book burning" marker, for example, exists as a window in the pavement not too far from the being-renovated opera house. OTOH there are now things which have been built as a result such as the Jewish memorial near the B-burg gate which are certainly worthwhile.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a follow-on: the Adlon Hotel which loves to tell you that people such as Marlene Dietrich stayed there, is a totally reconstructed building; the original was pretty much leveled during WW II. Nonetheless, enjoy Berlin which is, IMO, a fascinating city.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Taking WWII out of the equation, it I want the best overview of Berlin in a half day tour what is the best bet? Perhaps I'd visit the Topography of Terror on my own, along with some other WWII famous sites, and use a tour for general Berlin culture.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM

Viator is a re-seller of someone elses tour. Why use them? If you check the lists of walking tours in Berlin on Trip Advisor for example, you will see that all of the companies will be offering a 3rd Reich Tour, or themes along those lines.

I thought the 3rd Reich tour I went on with Insiders Tours was excellent. For 12 €, you can't beat the price.

If you are really short on time, can't fit the regular tour schedule, I would book with "Jeremy, the Berlin Expert" to see as much as possible in the time you have. Always excellent reviews, it will be money well spent.