Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best (without being extravagant) Venice Hotels

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:00 PM
jeff

I am traveling to Venice for the first time next Spring. I am totally confused on which hotel to book. I want a nice hotel with a canal view. I do not mind spending between $300-$350, but I don't want to go over that amount. What is the best deal without having to sacrifice comfort and charm?

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 02:14 PM
King

What are the rates at the Gritti Palace? That might be over your buget, but it's worth the splerge! Believe me.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:08 PM
sara

Just returned from Venice last week. I suggest staying near the San Marco Piazza. I wouldn't worry about the "canal" view because you get enough of that walking around. San Marco's the area you want to be at night.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:37 PM
metrople fan

The Metropole is a wonderful hotel, right on the lagoon, close to San Marco and should be within you budget. Many, many nice comments on this board if you do search. EXCELLENT luxury value for the money.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 06:14 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Jeff As previously mentioned perhaps the best area for a first timer to stay in Venice is near
the Pza S. Marco. Have used a number of hotels over the years and these three are within two blocks of the
Pza. with plenty of ristorantes and
shops around. the first is four star and the remaining two are three star.
For all information on these hotels see
www.veniceinfo.it/
HOTEL SATURNIA, Calle Largo 22 Marzo, 2348 is a four star with 95 rooms and
with the ristorante La Caravella on its
main floor. Have used it the last three
times in Venice. see4 www.hotelsaturnia.it/
HOTEL DO POZZI, Calle Largo 22 Marzo 2373 is a four star with 29 rooms but
might have been enlarged recently, Have
attached to the ristorante Da Raffaele.
Have used about eight times since 1981/
HOTEL LA FENICE ET DES ARTISTES, Campiello de La Fenice, 1936 is a three star with 61 rooms. Used once in the
late 80's, was a nice quiet location without the noise of the Calle Largo.
If you need a couple of suggestions for
ristorantes drop me a e mail and will
respond. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
elaine

Hi Jeff
I respectfully disagree somewhat with Richard's recommendation of the Saturnia Internazionale. Stayed there one year ago. Location fantastic, service perfect, breakfast outstanding.
However, our (very large) room was poorly lit, and although clean very much in need of updating in our opinion.
It was not shabby, just tired-looking and so dark as to be almost depressing. For the price we thought we could have done better. Perhaps there are newer rooms in the hotel and we just had bad luck with ours. We didn't dislike the hotel, we just thought we weren't getting top value.

I inspected the relatively new Colombina hotel on that trip, it's on the other side of Piazza San Marco. Rooms not as large as ours at the Saturnia (at least not the ones I saw) but they were bright and fresh and pretty. Traditional, but not dark or heavy in decor. Hotel is on a small canal.

My past favorite is the Flora, between the Saturnia and the Do Pozzi. You have to ask for a larger room as some are quite small, but the location is perfect, the service excellent, and the hotel setting with its courtyard is beautiful. I don't know if any rooms have a canal view. Breakfast is continental-style only (rolls, coffee or tea.)

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:24 AM
elaine

I meant,located on the same street as the Saturnia and the Do Pozzi, not between them

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
Jane

We havew also stayed at the Flora. Wonderful location. We had a VERY small room. My husband who is 6'3" had to duck to get in our room! Nice staff and within walking distance to everything

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Rex

The very top-most room at Hotel Bonvecchiati is very nice and under 300 € a night, I think. Check it out at www.venere.com - - there is no elevator for the final (short) flight of steps to get up to this "penthouse" room - - and the view is of _A_ (small) canal - - not any recognizable "grand" canal. But I still recommend it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
up

topping

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:43 PM
Dianne

Possibly out of the price range you posted, but the lagoon view rooms at the Savoia y Jolanda on the Riva degli Schiavoni have spectacular views. They list at 370? for 2002. We had a wonderful stay here, our room was beautiful, bathroom state of the art, service was top notch.

It you have any specific questions, send an e-mail and I'll try to answer.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
dlm

I spent just spent a weekend on my honeymoon in Venice and also wanted a beautiful hotel with a canal view room for under $400/night. I paid $385/night at the Colombina (it was high season), got the canal view, and regretted it. I coudn't agree more with the poster who said not to worry about a canal view. You'll pay a premium for those rooms and it is just not worth the extra money. Trust me -- I'm a person who doesn't mind paying more to get great accomodations. Every minute you're walking around Venice you will get your fill of canals. Take a gondola ride. East at a restaurant with a terace overlooking a canal. But spend your hotel dollars for location and the quality of the hotel. Next time I go, I'll stay at the best hotel possible and forget about the "canal view."