Best Web maps for directions?

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Victor

Best Web maps for directions?

My wife and I will be driving around Normandy (picking up the car in Caen, doing Bayeux/D-Day Beaches/Mont St. Michel), and I have tried to map things out.

I have the Michelin paper map for Normandy, so I pretty much know the routes I wish to take, but which online maps would Fodor-ites recommend for refinement?

ViaMichelin?
Yahoo?
Mappy.com?

These tend to output different routes, sometimes contradicting the paper map in obvious ways.

Input is appreciated,

Thanks!

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:15 PM
margo

We used Via Michelin last year, and found it to be great. I haven't tried either of the others.
It wasn't perfect, but pretty good, if you asked the right questions.
You're only covering a small area - so getting lost shouldn't be a disaster.

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Rex

I just came back from Normandy/Brittany in September - - and I recently posted a long message about routes that didn't seem to jive with our expectations all over Normandy.

I don't think any one source is perfect. We had extensive viamichelin printouts, and a Michelin map as well.

We always enjoyed the driving, but be prepared for taking longer and occasionally be confused, even if you consider yourself experienced at getting around in France.

It doesn sound like you are talking about a fairly concentrated area (more so than our itinerary which stretched from Paimpol to Etretat).

Be sure and try to include some or all of these in your trip (you didnt mention them by name):

Ste. Mere l'Eglise and the Army Airborne museum there.

Pointe du Hoc

the American cemetery at Colleville sur mer (pictured in "Saving Private Ryan")

Arromanches, especially the Musee du debarquement and Arromanches 360.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 17th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Francie

Victor,

You may want to try Shell.Geostar.com. Have checked them out for directions in the past.

Oct 17th, 2002, 09:32 PM
ttt

to the top

Oct 17th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Art

Check out Expedia. I used their driving directions and maps last year and they were perfect. I went through some really back roads and they guided me perfectly every time, even when it seemed that the road would end in a cow pasture. They also give very good times.

Oct 17th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Ann

We tried several for the directions from Poitiers airport to Argenton just a week ago and found ViaMichelin made too many assumptions. Theaa.com detailed every step better. It wasn't that ViaMichelin was wrong, it was just that it was more understandable when you already had some knowledge of the route.

www.map24.com is excellent too - you can click on steps of the route and the map will zoom in to that section. The steps are very clear. and you can have the instructions printed as a table or including mini-maps

Oct 17th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Victor

Thanks for all the helpful input. I will follow your suggestions.

V

Oct 20th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Victor

I want to thank Ann; Map24.com is excellent!

I was able to map out our Normandy travels (Rouen-Caen-Bayeux-Beaches-Mont St. Michel) in great anal-retentive detail, with mini-maps and everything, as my wife can attest. Merci beaucoup!

Search this Thread