Best Way to Visit the Cotswolds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to nail down an itinerary for a trip to the UK this fall. Part of it would be in and around the Cotswolds for five days. We would be coming from York and continuing on to London. So, two questions:

1) While in the area of the Cotswolds we would like to do a day trip to Oxford, a day in Bath, two days walking the villages themselves, and one open day. What would be the best hotel location for this: Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham, or a Cotswolds village I know nothing about?

2) It looks like we'll need a car while there so is it better to rent the car in York and drop it in, say, Bath, or take the train from York to our destination town (or even Bristol) and rent the car there? (It's been a long time since I drove on the left and I'm a little apprehensive)

We've dropped Newcastle / Durham from our route (prior to York). If we want to get into the Pennines or the Dales we'll do it from York. Thank you all for your help!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My 1st choice would probably be to stay in Burford or very nearby, Just off the main east/west road, so convenient to both Oxford and Cheltenham, sort of 'south-ish' so fairly convenient to Bath. Good walks including along the River Windrush, and lots to see and do within a short drive.

There really are no places to rent cars (other than from small local garages) in the Cotswolds proper. So I'd rent at York and drop the car either in Bath or at LHR if you are heading back to London or flying out.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 09:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Or train to Oxford, stay a night, then pick up a car there to continue on to Buford or wherever you decide to stay for the remainder of your time in the area, rather than the drive from York. I like that better logistically, eliminates the drive down, relax on the train, see Oxford & continue on.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Mar 17th, 2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Or train to Oxford, stay a night, then pick up a car there to continue on to Buford or wherever you decide to stay for the remainder of your time in the area, rather than the drive from York. I like that better logistically, eliminates the drive down, relax on the train, see Oxford & continue on.
We had planned something similar for May 2020, which of course never happened. Two nights in Oxford, rental car to Chipping Campden for three nights, then Bath and return to LHR. Looking to do something similar with my sister in May 2025, but neither of us is comfortable with driving on the left, so we’re trying to figure out how to manage without a car.

Following this thread with interest..
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 10:24 AM

Train to Oxford definitely works -- but me personally the drive down from York isn't too bad. You could easily visit Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon or Chatsworth en route.

The problem with a train from York -- it is either in to London Kings Cross and then crossing London to Paddington and train out to Oxford -- or -- two changes at Leeds and Birmingham. Except for the London option -- driving is actually faster.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
The problem with a train from York -- it is either in to London Kings Cross and then crossing London to Paddington and train out to Oxford -- or -- two changes at Leeds and Birmingham.
I also see options with one change in Birmingham.

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:41 PM

Yes -- there are a few one-change options through B'ham but they are longer trips taking more than 4.5 hours and having nearly an hour in Birmingham. They actually take more time than changing in Leeds and Birmingham because of the weird schedules.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Yes -- there are a few one-change options through B'ham but they are longer trips taking more than 4.5 hours and having nearly an hour in Birmingham. They actually take more time than changing in Leeds and Birmingham because of the weird schedules.
Yes, I realize that but almost an hour can offer time for a coffee or sandwich between trains or to use facilities that aren’t moving. I much prefer a leisurely change than a quick one. No problem, no rush, my favorite state of affairs. And I like train stations.

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 09:26 AM

Driving is less daunting than you think - get a small car if you can

Supporting vote for Burford area....its a good place to base yourself
No vote for Oxford - but that's just me. But it does have some great restaurants

Focus on doing as much as you can between Bath and Stratford upon Avon - most places are good enough as a drive through but a stay over night can also be worth it,
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 02:33 AM

It would be much easier to take a train to Cheltenham rather than Oxford, as that would be a through train with no changes.

Mind you, if I were looking for a rural area for a few days between York and London I would be going to the Peak District NP and not the overhyped Cotswolds. Much nicer, far fewer tourists and the UK's best stately home at Chatsworth.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JohnEW2912
It would be much easier to take a train to Cheltenham rather than Oxford, as that would be a through train with no changes. . .
The problem I see with taking the train to Cheltenham is that you’d then be in Cheltenham, a remarkably dull place. Oxford is on the OP’s wish list of places to visit, Cheltenham is not, a good idea, imo.

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 09:06 AM

But there is not need to stay in Cheltenham. Just pick up a car and drive to Burford surely?
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by JohnEW2912
But there is not need to stay in Cheltenham. Just pick up a car and drive to Burford surely?
Cheltenham could work -- but then he'd have to drive if he wanted to visit Oxford and driving in to Oxford and parking is Hell on Earth. Using the Park & Ride lots and busing in is a huge waste or time. If the OP takes the train to Oxford, explores the city on foot then collects a car at the train station - yes he would have to drive IN Oxford but just from say the Hertz location near the station which is less than 20 miles from Burford
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Really appreciate your comments. We've decided to stay in Burford for three nights and hit Oxford from there. Then we'll stay in Bath for two nights to be ready to catch the train to Paddington.

To do this we'll rent a car in York and drop it in Bath. Money was a great incentive to address my fear of driving on the left. It's been 50 years since I did that. But according to Rome to Rio, the train fare from York to Cheltenham will be from $200 to $600 for two people. What? And what a crazy rail system that has such a spread in ticket prices.

So, again, your advice has been a big help. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 01:08 PM

I think your plan is fine -- You'd be able to visit either Chatsworth or Hardwick Hall or Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon.

However I wouldn't rely on Rome-2-Rio for finding fares. First of all, tickets for your time period are not yet on sale. And when they are (twelve weeks out) booking ahead you can get discounted fares. Plus there are ways to get additional discounts - like senior travel cards or Two Together railcards

https://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk
https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk

Mind you, I'd still prefer to drive -- but just an FYI re booking trains . . .
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 01:00 AM

As an example of realistic train fares I just looked at a couple of random dates in May and fares from York to Bath were readily available for £75, or £50 with a railcard.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 06:29 AM

Has anyone here used Cheltenham as a base from which to tour the Cotswolds? I prefer to stay in a larger place to take advantage of urban facilities and entertainment in the evenings. Is it too far removed from the lovely countryside?