Best Way to Visit Amalfi from Napoli?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard a lot of conflicting recommendations.

Some say do a bus. Some people say buses aren't that great.

Some say the best way is the ferry. Some people say get a private driver.

Old May 4th, 2023, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by elmaji
I have heard a lot of conflicting recommendations.

Some say do a bus. Some people say buses aren't that great.

Some say the best way is the ferry. Some people say get a private driver.
Where exactly do you want to go, the town of Amalfi or visit towns along the Coast? If the latter a private driver would probably be the best. You wouldn’t have to worry about finding parking, etc, it’ll also be much easier to go to the different towns.

If you are going to Amalfi town, I would suggest train to Salerno and then ferry to Amalfi. The views from the water are stupendous and not to be missed. Note that both the buses and ferries are quite crowded, you may want to buy your tickets the day before your travel. In early May last year we weren’t able to board some buses as they were so crowded and had to wait for the next one.
Old May 4th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geetika
Where exactly do you want to go, the town of Amalfi or visit towns along the Coast? If the latter a private driver would probably be the best. You wouldn’t have to worry about finding parking, etc, it’ll also be much easier to go to the different towns.

If you are going to Amalfi town, I would suggest train to Salerno and then ferry to Amalfi. The views from the water are stupendous and not to be missed. Note that both the buses and ferries are quite crowded, you may want to buy your tickets the day before your travel. In early May last year we weren’t able to board some buses as they were so crowded and had to wait for the next one.
Just general Amalfi coast area. Is there a specific reason it's better to take a Ferry from Salerno as opposed to taking a Ferry directly from Naples?
Old May 4th, 2023, 10:54 AM

There are several influencing factors.
When will you be there? Weather might be a factor.
One issue from Naples might be timing of ferries and if you prefer a hydrofoil or ferry.
Are you actually staying in Naples rather than somewhere on the AC or Sorrento?
Any other places you are seeing in the area. Pompeii, etc?
How much time do you have? As in, will you be arriving from someplace else the day you want to tour or departing at the end of that day?
Do you wish to see Positano as well as Amalfi?
Do you wish to see anything other than right on the water?
People can give best advice if they know the overall plan.

I personally hate busses. Not able to move around, stuck in traffic, etc. Some people like to take a bus one way and a ferry the other way to get views from both.
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:08 AM

Just general Amalfi coast area. Is there a specific reason it's better to take a Ferry from Salerno as opposed to taking a Ferry directly from Naples?
I could be wrong, but you probably have more ferries from Salerno than Napoli.

What exactly is your plan in this area? I am guessing you want to do a day trip to the Amalfi Coast since you asked about a private driver. Suggest you definitely visit Amalfi and Positano, the former has a gorgeous Duomo and the latter is probably one of the most picturesque towns on the AC. You could take a bus from Amalfi to Positano, you’ll get off in the upper town and walk down to the water at the bottom. Stop to explore en route, also an aperitif or gelato or a meal. Then take the ferry to your next port of call for the water views.

Ravello up in the hills is an absolute gem. Much less crowded and laid back, we spent a day there and enjoyed every moment. Having a private driver would definitely be a huge plus if you go to Ravello. We took the bus, and waited quite a bit both ways, but we were staying at Atrani and didn’t really mind the delays.

Do let us know what exactly you’re looking to do, that way we can give more specific information.

Last edited by geetika; May 4th, 2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Napoli at the end of June for 4 nights. From June 28th to April 2nd.

I will be staying in the center of Napoli basically.

My plan is to see some of the Amalfi coast. It does not have to be an extremely extensive visit. The Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and basically anything else of value in Naples is what I am budgetting time to myself for.

Last edited by elmaji; May 4th, 2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are staying in Naples, then take the Circumvesuviana train form the station. It stops at Pompeii and terminates in Sorrento. Pompeii Scavi is the station for the entrance to the site, but you'll need a minimum half a day to see it properly. If this is a day trip to see both, you won't have much time to travel further along the AC than Positano which is the first town you come to. If you aim to see Pompeii separately, I'd still train to Sorrento then either take the SITA bus along the coast, or take a taxi from Sorrento. Positano is certainly the most picturesque of the AC villages and with just a day trip, see Amalfi too, which is just about all you will have time for.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:39 AM

I will be in Napoli at the end of June for 4 nights. From June 28th to April 2nd.

I will be staying in the center of Napoli basically.

My plan is to see some of the Amalfi coast. It does not have to be an extremely extensive visit. The Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and basically anything else of value in Naples is what I am budgetting time to myself for.
As mentioned above, the Circumvesuviana is most convenient for Pompeii, stops bang opposite the Scavi entrance. The train is extremely crowded and notorious for pickpockets, so watch out for your belongings.

Suggest getting there when they open, carry water, hats, sunscreen, etc as it’ll get very hot end June and there’s no shade at all. You’ll easily spend a minimum of 3hrs there, you can then get something to eat at one of the cafés near the entrance/station.

Take the Circumvesuviana on to Sorrento, then transfer to a ferry to either Positano or Amalfi. You should have time for both, go to Positano first as it’s the most picturesque. You can go on to Amalfi, depending on time and how tired or otherwise you feel. Then ferry back to Sorrento and continue by train to Napoli. Amalfi is better connected by ferries compared to Positano.

This will make for a long day, it’ll also be very crowded and busy at that time of the year. But in Positano and Amalfi you can sit at a café with a drink and people watch. Positano is vertical, so lots of steps and climbing, but Amalfi is basically just one street, almost all on the same level. The Duomo there is gorgeous and not to be missed, IMO.

Do visit the Archeological Museum in Napoli as most of the artifacts from Pompeii are housed here. Do a walking your of the city, you can download self-guided tours which are excellent.

Try and make time to see the Christo Velato or Veiled Christ at the San Severino chapel in Napoli. One of the most exquisite sculptures I have ever seen, it brought tears to my eyes. 😍

Last edited by geetika; May 5th, 2023 at 05:44 AM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geetika
As mentioned above, the Circumvesuviana is most convenient for Pompeii, stops bang opposite the Scavi entrance. The train is extremely crowded and notorious for pickpockets, so watch out for your belongings.

Suggest getting there when they open, carry water, hats, sunscreen, etc as it’ll get very hot end June and there’s no shade at all. You’ll easily spend a minimum of 3hrs there, you can then get something to eat at one of the cafés near the entrance/station.

Take the Circumvesuviana on to Sorrento, then transfer to a ferry to either Positano or Amalfi. You should have time for both, go to Positano first as it’s the most picturesque. You can go on to Amalfi, depending on time and how tired or otherwise you feel. Then ferry back to Sorrento and continue by train to Napoli. Amalfi is better connected by ferries compared to Positano.

This will make for a long day, it’ll also be very crowded and busy at that time of the year. But in Positano and Amalfi you can sit at a café with a drink and people watch. Positano is vertical, so lots of steps and climbing, but Amalfi is basically just one street, almost all on the same level. The Duomo there is gorgeous and not to be missed, IMO.

Do visit the Archeological Museum in Napoli as most of the artifacts from Pompeii are housed here. Do a walking your of the city, you can download self-guided tours which are excellent.

Try and make time to see the Christo Velato or Veiled Christ at the San Severino chapel in Napoli. One of the most exquisite sculptures I have ever seen, it brought tears to my eyes. 😍
I wasn't planning on visiting Pompeii and Amalfi on the same day, but that advice helps a lot thanks!
Old May 5th, 2023, 10:06 AM

Personally, would not visit Pompeii and the AC on the same day. I would see Pompeii and the archeological museum one day, perhaps even Herculaneum, though might be a bit much with Pompeii, but I would definitely not miss Herculaneum.
I would take a full day for the AC, taking the train to Salerno, ferry to Amalfi and ferry or bus on to Positano. Then, probably, ferry on to Sorrento, dinner in Sorrento, and train back to Naples. If I could include Ravello, I would.
Geetika’s plan to train to Sorrento first works great too! I have done it that way. I just would not do it the same day as Pompeii.
Old May 5th, 2023, 01:32 PM

Four nights in Napoli means only three days. Which is why I suggested the OP club Pompeii and the AC for a single day trip. Which would leave two days, or less, for Napoli itself.

Personally, with just three days I would do either Pompeii or the AC, not both. Naples has so much to offer you wouldn’t want to short change it. Just my two cents!
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Naples does have a lot. In spite of the reputation for being gritty, I like Naples - a lot! That being said, Naples is another city, and though there are wonderful views throughout the world, the Amalfi Coast is so unique, with beautiful Positano clinging to the cliffs. I think it would be a shame to be so close and not see some of that most stunning coastline. The OP has 4 nights, so 3 full days. One full day on the AC leaves 2 for Naples. I “might” even use one of those for a day on Ischia. OTOH, Pompeii with the archeological museum takes most of a day, and if one has any deep interest in archeological sites, Herculaneum is very different from Pompeii and quite beautiful, kind of a must see.
The Veiled Christ really is a “must see.”