Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Travel From Budapest to Krakow

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are traveling Vienna-Budapest- Krakow-Warsaw in early October. Going from Budapest to Krakow seems difficult. There appears to be only one train that takes about 10 hours. This is a night trip and several web sites have warned against traveling at night on the train. Planes are available but cost $450 one way. I could buy a 7 day round trip for $232 and not use the return. Traveling by car or bus also seems difficult because of traffic and narrow roads. I would be grateful if someone could advise me on the best way to go from Budapest to Krakow. Thanks. Art
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM

We took a bus from Krakow to Budapest through the mountains, starting around 8 a.m., through the Slovak Republic, having a break for lunch, and arriving in the late afternoon. Very scenic. Good road. I wonder which airline quoted you that price. Seems too much.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Did those websides warned about this specific connection? It is true that night travel on more local trains or within a specific country is not recommanded - but this train should be fine - and it's probably not stopping on too many stops and when it does train conductor is probably checking their tickets etc. you also need to remember that you be crossing Tatry Mtn, and couple of borders - so 10hrs is really justified ...

sleeper will also save you some $ on hotel and in overal expense (Krakow airport is bit outside of the city where train station puts you in the center)...

Your choice but I would take a second look at the train option ... as for bus oh well sitting for such a long trip - not sure - I would go nuts not to mention how tired you be on arrival... as for planes - check into further - definitly check Hugarian airlines and Polish for promos - also there are some cheapAirlines avail as well were they use different airports... (quick search on google showed this site -> http://wizzair.com/index.shtml )
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:36 AM

There overnight train between Budapest and Krakow is fairly inexpensive (info: i'd call BETS in US 800-441-2387) - as for security, i'd book a private double that locks from the inside and you should have no problem - problems come in sleeping in regular seats or 6-person couchettes where doors also lock but when folks go out at night to WC often don't lock on return. Personally i wouldn't be put off the night train, which would cost about $70 plus sleeping berth cost, from $25-30 in couchette or perhaps $60 (each) in private double. and city centre to city centre - no paying to get to or from airports.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Last March I went from Krakow to Budapest on Malev Airline and I'm sure it wasn't much over $100.00 one way. So I just plugged in a flight Budapest to Krakow on Malev air October 11 and the price was $305.00. Guess it has gone up considerably.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Just came across my receipt. Price was $175.00. However on another post that poster got a ticket for $70.00 just a few days ago. You need to call Malev Airline in New York. Not available on line.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM

The chance that you'll experience any problem on a night train (other than smelling someone's smelly feet when they take their boots off) is about the same as having a problem on a plane. I've taken the night train out of Vienna (I assume you are talking about the Vienna to Krakow segment) and thought it was great.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:05 AM

We recently booked Krakow to Budapest (BUD) on Malev Airlines for a May 23 flight for a total of $171 for two of us, which included a $14 Fed-Ex fee to mail the tickets to us. It's a 1-hour flight, leaving about 4:00 p.m.

You must make the reservation over the telephone, via call to the New York office, at 800 223-6884. Be prepared to camp on hold for a long time, but when I finally got through, the staff was efficient and helpful.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I took the night train Budapest to Krakow two years ago and I loved it. It was relatively inexpensive and I had a 2 berth with my mom. HOWEVER, my Mom could not stand it as the Eastern European countries will wake you up for "Passport Control" and she couldn't sleep being waken up several times. It was safe and we had a little lock on our door and this was in the height of tourist season (early August). I thought it was worth it, although getting to Krakow at 6 AM is a bit strange... but my mom definitely would give it a pass. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I saw Mary_Fran's posting and called up Malev Airline in NY today. They were courteous, but the price I got was $161 each, so for the two of us traveling that would be $322 plus a $15 Fedex fee. Maybe it's because we are traveling at the end of September compared to Mary_Fran's departure of May. Oddly, the Malev website shows a total price (taxes included) of 500 ZLN, which is about $156 total or $78 per person. The catch is that the only way you can get these tickets is via delivery to Poland! I asked the Malev rep about the web fare and she indicated that $161 is the best fare she was showing so we booked it. I noticed on the Malev website that flying from KRK-BUD is much cheaper than from BUD-KRK for some reason. In any case, $450 seems way too high.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Go_Travel, I guess we were lucky, huh? Sorry you didn't fare as well.