Best way to travel

Search

Best way to travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to travel

we will be staying at hotel Villa Gabrisa in Positano Italy and we need to travel to our hotel in Rome, Best Western L Triangoli, Via Wolf Ferrari Ermanno 285, (which I believe is in central Rome (?). What is our most economical way to get there as we will not have a car?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
J62

a) take a 'SITA' bus from Positano to Naples, then take a slow train to Rome. There are fast trains, but they are not as economical as slow trains.

check fares and schedules at trenitlia.com

or

b) take a 'SITA' bus from Positano to Sorrento, then the Circumvesuviana local train to Naples, then on to Rome.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Do a search here for transportation Positano to Rome to see the choices. The most economical will be a combination of bus and train.

That hotel in Rome is most certainly NOT in central Rome. In fact, it's 1/2 hour outside the city. Not at all a good location. Can you cancel that and find something else? You're going to waste a lot of time getting back and forth from the hotel, plus it's so nice to be in the center at night.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM

From the hotel's website, I copied this description of the way from Stazione Termini (which still is ouside the historical center) to the hotel:

From the Termini Train Station take the underground Metro Line B (LAURENTINA) to the EUR Magliana stop (8th stop).
At this stop, take the Lido Cristofero Colombo line getting off at the 4th stop which is ACILIA.
Once here, at the BERTOLLA /STAZIONE ACILIA get on line 065 WOLFF FERRARI/ BAZZINI and stay on until the 15th stop which is MALPIERO/RAVEL.
Get off here and you will find the Hotel Best Western I Triangoli on your right at about 100 meters.

Are you sure that you really want to stay there???
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
J62

Ouch, I just looked at the Rome hotel address on maps.google.com. Susan is being generous in her 30min estimate.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Dear SusanP,

The reason we picked this hotel is because we will be flying out the next day a 10 AM and it seemed to be a clean hotel, with a reasonable rate, and relatively close to the airport. We are staying a few days in Rome on the front end of a 10 day trip so we more interested in a hotel for $$ and proximity to the Rome airport. Did I make a reasonable choice?
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
J62

Susan's comment was based on the statement you made: "I believe (the hotel) is in central Rome"

In my opinion your hotel is not convenient to Rome or the airport so it's the worst of both worlds.

You're better off getting a hotel near Termini - you'll get to the airport just as fast from there as you will form the Best Western.

I don't have a specific hotel recommendation, but perhaps if you re-post a new thread (or search) you'll get some good ideas.

The question of where to stay in a hotel before am departure from the airport comes up a lot and the advice is usually split. a) close to the airport at Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday EUR or others, or b) stay in Rome and get up early.

Having done both I recommend the latter.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
J62

here's a current thread about hotels near Termini.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35095974
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM

With a 10 am flight, I would definitely want to spend my last night IN Rome, not near the airport. And, just my opinion, I wouldn't want to stay near Termini, either. I'd want to be right in the center to enjoy the last night in Rome. Book a shuttle to pick you up at the hotel at 6:30 am and you'll get to the airport in plenty of time.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM

Hi John - When are you travelling?

In high season (- June-Sept) there is a daily Positano-Rome bus service (- operator: Marozzi). This is the cheapest option (- fare: € 20 ).

It leaves Positano about 16.00.
Journey time 4.5-5 hrs.

www.marozzivt.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve