Best way to see Toledo

Search

Best way to see Toledo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to see Toledo

Any suggestions for which companies provide the best day trips to Toledo from Madrid or any recommendations for guided walking tours in Toledo if you take the bus or train on your own from Madrid to Toledo? We're interested in spending 6-8 hours there mid-September. Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:50 AM

krillrobin,
All the bus tour companies, Gray Line/Trapsatur, Julia, Pullmantur run basically identical tours, both full and half day tours, They run DAILY, the full day lasts 81/2 hrs.
But lots of time is wasted in picking up/delivering passengers, with a usually mediocre lunch involved, with sightseeing time spent watching the damascene work being done in the obligatory gift shop stop. They're convenient and some prefer them; they exist for a good reason, for the ease but...
Just so you know the disadvantages too.

The Sephardic museum is closed for renovations with no set date for reopening, and the Alcázar was closed as well on our visit. The small Museum-House of El Greco
with a very small number of paintings, mostly portraits, is closed Mon.

The city government tourist office offers guided walking tours of the city in high season, but I don't know about mid-September. Maybe? The TI across the street from the cathedral was offering them when we were there during Holy Week, but perhaps because of that vacation period.

Or ...
Stephen Drake Jones , founder of the Wellington Society, offers his own guided small group tours of Toledo and Segovia as well as sightseeing in Madrid. I've never taken his tours, so I can't give you a personal recommendation, but other posters may have experienced them.
He might have a group tour during your dates. They're considerably more exp. than Juliá and the rest (87 versus 60 euros) but he limits them to a max of 10 or so.
www.wellsoc.org
Several posters on the madridman and ricksteves sites have written about this rather colorful (slightly eccentric?) character.
You might want to read what is said about his tours on the Spain-Portugal guide book graffiti board at www.ricksteves.com

Hope this helps you to decide.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:40 PM

We took the bus from Madrid to Toledo, armed with general information and walked around the town ourselves. We had a wonderful day. I don't see a need for an organized tour as it was fun to just ride with the locals to and from and see the other little neighborhoods where they got on and off the bus. Have fun!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:16 AM

I think your post contradicts itself. You ask the "best way to see Toledo" and then immediately eliminate the "best" way to do it, which is to spend at least a night there and do it on your own. I found it a busy and crowded city by day, but by night it was wonderful wandering the streets. We had a great stay at the Hostal de Cardinal -- which was also cheaper than an additional night in Madrid would have been, so we feel we came out way ahead in every respect.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:25 AM
jor

I took the train from Madrid to Teledo. Teledo is best experienced on foot. I would recommend an overnight stay if possible.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:50 AM

krillrobin,
I'd just like to follow up by saying that doing Toledo on one's own by train and with a good, detailed guide book would actually be a time and money saver. The Drake Jones small group tours are quite expensive (although they may be highly enjoyable, I just don't know) and the tourist office tours may only be in Spanish.
Guide books such as the excellent Cadogan's or highly detaiiled Lonely Planet should give you all the info you need for an informative visit. Rick Steves Spain/Portugal also does a concise, helpful job for a first time tour.

I would avoid the weekend if possible, when Toledo gets particularly jammed with day trippers, and a few monuments are closed on Mon.
With the Alcázar and the Sinagoga del Tránsito & Sephardic Museum now closed for renovation, you can concentrate first on the Cathedral, which takes a good 2 + hrs. to see. I'd rent the audio guide from the Museum store across the street or take along Michener's Iberia, as the Toledo chapter has a wonderful description of the cathedral. Then move on to the Iglesia de Santo Tomé, where El Greco's masterpiece, the Burial of the Count of Orgaz is displayed (or see this first before the bus hordes arrive), the Taller del Moro, the tiny Sinagoga de Santa María la Blanca, the
the Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes.
Take a quick run through of the Casa Museo del Greco (not many masterpieces there any more). They're all located in the same quarter.
If you're an art lover, the Museum of Santa Cruz has more than a dozen fine El Grecos and it's open during siesta when the other sites closed down tight.. This is a good way to maximize your time.
But before leaving, I would grab a taxi to go around the Carretera de Circunvalación and up to the Parador for truly unforgettable views (the same as in El Greco's Vista de Toledo). Taxi fare runs between 4-5 euros one way. For rest, sit on the Plaza del Zocodover and buy marzipan or other treats at the venerable Casa de Santo Tomé there, and finally walk across the San Martín bridge for another great photo vantage point.

Of course, the very "best" way is to spend the night at the Hostal del Cardenal, as Patrick says. It's our favorite place to stay inside the old city and a great value, but if you may not have the time.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:36 AM
DMG

Quote from Maribel: "With the Alcázar and the Sinagoga del Tránsito & Sephardic Museum now closed for renovationWith the Alcázar and the Sinagoga del Tránsito & Sephardic Museum now closed for renovation..."

We were thinking of changing our departure from Madrid in October by two days in order to go to Toledo for one day and spend more time in the Madrid art museums. The penalty for changing our return flight would be $200 per person! If the Sephardic Museum and synagogue (two of the sights we would be most interested in) are still closed for renovation, I'm not sure if we should change our plans. Do you think we should leave Toledo for a future trip?
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Maira

krillrobin--- if you are in a situaton where you can't spend an overnight in Toledo, then a guided tour of this incredible city is not a bad way to go. My recommendation will be for Julia Tours because there is no wasted time picking/dropping passengers. All their customers gather at their office location in Gran Via, 68 and take off/are drop off from there. I would recommend the half-day tour, don't waste your time/$$ with the lunch option. You may even want to stay in Toledo the afternoon and return on your own that evening. Another alternative is to train to Toledo and go directly to the Office of Tourism and try to get on a guided tour of the city.

Toledo is a great city to visit with a lot to see and also with great chances to walk yourself to exhaustion if you don't have an advanced idea of where/what to see. A guided morning tour takes you thru the maze of streets to the main sights, which you can then go back in the afternoon by yourself. Have a great time in Spain!

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:31 AM

DMG,
According to the Toledo city hall's official page,
www.toledoweb.org/ES/Default.asp?Bt=5

The Sinagoga del Tránisto-Sephardic Museum is still closed with no reopening date listed, as is the Alcázar.

The municipal tourist office across from the cathedral square does run walking tours of the city, but I don't remember if they run all year long or if they're seasonal, and I don't know if all are done in English as well as Spanish. I would assume that in high season they would certainly need to be given in English too. Maira, do you recall?