Search

Help -Day Tours from Madrid to Toledo & Segovia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help -Day Tours from Madrid to Toledo & Segovia

Hi Guys,

I have been looking for a company that runs day tours from Madrid to Toledo and Segovia.

Viator is all over the place, but not getting good reviews. Does anyone know of a guide in Toledo and one in Segovia or out of Madrid that I can contact? (other than Viator)

I dont necessarily think I need them to supply the bus - I can take a bus to each place myself - I just need the knowledgeable talking-walking tour.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM

You can find a reliable guide once you reach Toledo or Segovia.

I'd suggest check on taking the AVE to Toledo. The bus to Sevogia is okay, but there will be a new AVE line opening up in the near future.

The following is from Maribel's Guide to Madrid:

Toledo
From Puerta de Atocha station, take the new high speed AVANT (a regional AVE), a 30-minute ride for the bargain price of €8,60 one-way (or round-trip with a 20% discount). Check the current schedule at www.renfe.es. Please make sure to purchase your ticket at least a few days in advance or better still, online through Renfe’s TIKNET page. Tickets for the morning departures from Madrid often sell out, and you will be sorely disappointed if you wait until the morning of your trip to purchase tickets. For our last Toledo visit on NYE weekend, all morning trains were sold out upon our arrival at 9:00 am at Atocha station, but we had purchased our tickets through TIKNET. There is only one class of service and four cars on each train, carrying 232 passengers. Car 1, next to the bar car, is called a Club Car but costs no more; it simply gives passengers a two and one seat configuration, thus a quieter ride. For a full day tour I suggest departing on the 9:20 am train and returning on the 7:50 pm run. From the Toledo AVE station, a city bus, or taxi, will take you up through the Puerta de Bisagra gate to the Plaza de Zocodover, the main square, to start your tour.

The entire city is undergoing a major reconstruction. Keep abreast of museum openings and closings at www.toledoweb.org.

City Tours
There are two private tour companies offering city tours, www.conocetoledo.com & www.toledopaisajes.com.

Tours are given in English on demand; otherwise, you are given an audioguide to follow in English (and other languages). Must reserve by phone and NOT at Tourist Office across from cathedral.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks Robert - sounds like lots of good information and direction.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 02:36 AM

TrapSATur operates day tours to Toledo and Segovia. They are in the vicinity of San Bernardo & Gran Via. Be careful, though. There were several posts last year telling how people missed their Bus because they were lined up around the corner from the departure point.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In November I took the train on my on to Toledo and it could not have been easier.

I took Pullmantour's guided day tour to Segovia and Avila. Their offices and bus pick up are located just past the Royal Palace on a square to the right -- or conversely, directly behind the Opera. I never found a website for them though.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ned and Amy, I've been looking -
Pullmantour really doesn't give much information about what they'll show you in Toledo or Segovia - I'll try to find Trapsatur online.

Do you think I should plan on an overnite in Toledo? And could I take a bus or train from Toledo to Segovia ?

keep it coming..
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM

In Madrid, there is a historian named Stephen Drake Jones. He came from England many years ago, fell in love with Spain and stayed. He is an expert on Spanish history. He does not give tours, but takes groups and students on "history" walks in Madrid, Toledo and Segovia. He formed a society called the Wellington Society, which you must join in order to go on any of his walks. After you join, the walks are free, except for your personal travel expenses, food and drinks; and the cost of travel, food and drinks (which can be quite a few in the evening) for him which is split between the people on the walk. You never know what he is going to do: evening walk around Madrid, whole day trip to Segovia, tapas bar crawl, etc. He knows everybody. I took a group once and had him arrange a special dinner on a terrace overlooking Madrid. It was an amazing event and cheap. I also booked a group of students on an all day trip to Segovia. It was incredible! One night he took just my husband and me to a bar built over Roman ruins. It had a glass floor where we sat looking down at the ruins.
He has a great web site. You can call him from here or when you get to Madrid and see what he is doing when you are there. Be warned: He never misses the opportunity for a drink at every bar in the evening (can get costly, but you can split any time you want) and he can seem a bit "full of himself" but he really is knowledgeable and interesting.

There is a little open train (sort of like some we have here in large zoos and parks,) that circles through the mountains around Toledo at night. The views are great and Toledo is beautiful lighted at night. Other than that, it is pretty quiet.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass,

That is priceless information !
Thank you so much - have booked Trapsatur last night (not inexpensive but looked better than the rest) and now will look up Jones' website. I will be in Madrid again next year - so if I dont catch him this time, there is always next time.

Any other suggestions as to what to see and where to go? I will only have one morning before buisness appts for a week, then I will be back in Madrid on the 19th and 20th for the two full day tours, and have not made up my mind whether to leave on the 21st which is a Monday, and my understanding is that all museums are closed on Mondays. If they are not or there are suggestions what can be seen or done I would consider staying over more days.

???
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM

This site has several day tours of Toledo and Segovia/Avila as well with good client feedback. We may use them in June unless we go ourselves by train (still undecided). Robin
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM

bookmarking