Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to pay bill and get foreign cash in Europe

Jun 1st, 2013, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Usually when we go to Europe I use a debit Card for cash and Capital One for paying bills.
Today I checked with Capital One in case I wish to take cash using my credit card.
I was told that they charge .$10 dollars or 3% whichever is larger plus interest plus whatever charges the Europen bank owner of the ATM machine.
I was wondering which is the best way to go.I haven't been in Europe for a couple of years and I 'll love to get some advice. Is there any thing new? Thank you
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM

My advice is to use your bank ATM card for cash. I can't recall any bank in Europe charging me for use of a bank card. Your home town bank will probably charge $5 per transaction or 3% whichever suits them. Shop around. I quit most banks and switched most of my funds to a credit union, which does not charge anything.

It is good practice to carry more than one credit card and ATM card, preferably from different institutions, when you travel in Europe.
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:09 PM

Ask what they charge to use your *debit* card. My financial institution charges me a $1 ATM fee when I withdraw money from a non-American ATM.

Also, ask your bank if they have a partnership with any banks in Europe. This normally means no surcharges.
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM

Join a credit union - you're less likely to have high fees. My primary local credit union charges only a 1% currency conversion rate on ATM withdrawals and gives me 5 free withdrawals at a non-member ATM per month. 1% conversion for their Visa card, too. However, I joined Andrews Federal Credit Union (based in Maryland) a couple of weeks before my last trip to open a savings account and get a Visa card with them. Anyone can join if you first take 30 seconds to join the American Consumer Council (free). Andrews does not charge a currency conversion fee (0%) nor do they charge any fee for using your ATM card at other ATMs (the other ATM's owner might charge you - but generally they don't charge you in Europe). Plus, the Andrews Visa card has chip-and-pin technology (probably chip-and-signature for you, was for me) which will make it more widely accepted by European merchants.
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM

Credit Unions rock.
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
ira

Hi G,

> in case I wish to take cash using my credit card.<

That is the most expensive way you could do it.

> I use a debit Card for cash and Capital One for paying bills.<

You should continue doing so.

Enjoy your visit.

Jun 1st, 2013, 01:47 PM

Any reason you asked about getting cash w/ a credit card? That makes no sense. That will be considered a cash advance and almost always comes w/ heavy fees. Just do what you've done before. I.e. Get cash w/ a debit/ATM card and charge things w/ a credit card . . .
Jun 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM

Nothing has changed in the last 10+years. Use an ATM/debit card to get cash from a machine.

I don't understand the bill paying part. Can you set up on line bill pay with your bank? I tried to use my credit card to pay utility and property tax bills and was told that there would be a 3% surcharge. What bills are you trying to pay with a credit card?
Jun 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM

Two words: Credit Union.
Jun 1st, 2013, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice,I was thinking of taking only one card, but I can see it is not a good idea, first of all I am going to check with my bank regarding the charges for using the debit card in Europe and then I shall see. thank you again.
Jun 1st, 2013, 09:43 PM

Never (ever) a good idea to take only one card. What if you lose it, or it becomes inoperable? I have one card that was 'demagnetized' by the latch on my iPad cover and was useless unless they keyed in the number.

I always take (at least) 2 atm card and 2 credit cards - often more.
Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:15 AM

Make sure you let your bank know you are traveling, dates and countries. Our bank automatically denies charges in the UK and Luxembourg because of credit card fraud, so we have to let them know beforehand when we travel. Even when we do, we can have memorable moments like that early morning in Scotland when the card was blocked, because the bank 'did not know that Scotland was in the UK'. Gah!
Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:17 AM

Das Stimmt!