Reload this Page >

Best way to pack linen?

Search

Best way to pack linen?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:58 PM
laura

Best way to pack linen?

I am leaving Mon. and I have plenty of linen.<BR>Any packing tips? We have duffle bags that are also backpacks.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Leslie

Use tissue paper and the plastic bags from the dry cleaners. Wrap each item individually. Upon arrival, to get the wrinkles out immediately put each piece of apparel on a hanger and leave them in the bathroom while you are taking a long steaming shower.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:10 PM
sue

Hi,<BR><BR>I also take a lot of linen when I travel in the summer. I figure it is suppose to wrinkled, becasue no matter how careful you are after 5 minutes of wearing it, it is wrinkled. When I pack I fold the slacks or blouse in two and then roll the garments. It really works out ok. This method is great for your type of suit case.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Roco

Laura,<BR><BR>I, too, LOVE linen and have lots of it. Here's my hint: Buy a bottle of Downy Spray Wrinkle Resease, found with dryer sheets, etc in grocery, Target, WalMart, etc. Then fill small travel spray bottle and bring along.<BR><BR>Here's how it works: put garment on bed, spray all over lightly with Downy, then smooth with hands. Voila!<BR>The operative word is "lightly."

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Marilyn

Wrap linen garments around travel iron and pack in center of suitcase.<BR><BR>Seriously, I have found that some linen wrinkles badly, but other linen, the heavier stuff, actually travels quite well. I have a pair of heavy linen elastic-waist pants that can be worn many times and never seem to get too badly wrinkled. Unfortunately they are actually wearing out...

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Karen

Last year I ordered "travel" dresses from every catalog I could find and sent them all back because they were just terrible looking on me and/or made of polyester that made me feel hot even in winter. I ended up packing all my linen dresses for my trip to Italy in June. I could not believe how well the dry-cleaner bag method worked! I put each dress in its own dry cleaner bag and packed them last, on top of everything else, with a minimum number of folds. They came out ready to wear, especially the heavy linen ones, and I was cool and comfortable on the hottest days. They did have to be ironed after they were laundered, but I didn't find that too much of a burden. I also used the ziplock bag system for shirts and sweaters and miscellaneous other items, with equally good results.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:47 PM
laura

Thanks for the help. I've gotten the items listed above and I'm ready to pack. We're leaving in 2 days.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:17 PM
jorge \

sounds like a hasle too me.. I try too bring darker colors that don't show the wrinkles that much.. if I mess UP and bring some shirt that wrinkles too much. I just geve them away too the locals. travaling is hard enough as it is..

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Tina

It's not a hassle at all. I use tissue paper (paper that you pack gifts in) and plastic bags from the dry cleaners and pack them last. <BR>I never get any wrinkles and they come out of the suitcase in wrinkle-free condition.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:38 PM
jorge

laura.. seems too be backpacking.. and the backpackers creto is never bring anythng you don't need... <BR>We've all broght crap we ddn't need but as we travel more often we start learning how too pack smartly .. I bought a couple of those compressor bags where you place a clothes in it then you take the air out.. you save tons of room..