Little things to make your travel more pleasurable

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned to pack my favorite soaps & shampoos when I go to Europe because the budget hotels (*** and below) don't always have nice stuff I'm used to at home.

Also, I always find a grocery store or supermarket wherever I go because it makes me feel less "touristy" and I can get bottled water for a fraction of the price of what you would pay at restaurants or at the hotel.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A couple of sarongs/pareos take very little room in your suitcase and have endless uses (as a bathrobe, a towel, picnic blanket, to cover up questionable hotel chairs or bedding, a window curtain, a shawl, the list is virtually endless).
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM

This is my weird travel tip that I read somewhere a few years ago, and it has worked well for me! We all have underwear and/or socks that are in pretty bad shape. Take those on your trip and after wearing them, just throw them out! It will free up a little space in your luggage for things you pick up along the way and you'll get rid of your crummy stuff! ;-)
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Well personally I like to pack light but I like everything I pack to be in good condition.

One thing I do know, and never see anyone mention is this.

New clothes (never worn before) hold up so much better during a trip then clothes that have previously been washed or drycleaned.

Regarding soaps, shampoos etc. I just take small travel size ones and then buy what I need a few days after I arrive. And do not take them home with me. That sure helps keep the carryon bag lightweight.

It is interesting how we each find different ways to make our trips enjoyable.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM

LoveItaly, what a fabulous idea!!
Only packing new clothes..I must go shopping-heh heh.
I like to go to Aveda or some such store and buy the travel size shampoos and soaps. They usually last a week.
I take my good underwear and socks, like mama said, what if I am in an accident ? ..
I usually pack everything black and white or black and tan,this year is black and blue .. You don't have to pack as much when they all go together and no one notices if that pair of black trousers are the same ones you wore yesterday ( if someone is keeping track
I always keep in mind that in Europe, it is actually part of the fun to go to a market and buy these things, I have made the best discoveries in a French pharmacy! So don't worry about taking everything with you, it is fun to find it there too.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I'm of the 'bring old underwear' school myself, I love throwing them out rather than accumulating them for a week

Things I learned on this forum years ago and they've improved my travel life:

I bring an old pillow case onto the plane so I can stuff a couple of those small, and not necessarily sanitary, airplane pillows into them

I bring a pair of cheap very lightweight slippers onto the plane so I don't have to wear my shoes for 6-9 hours
The slippers come in handy at the hotel anyway.

I pack my own corkscrew, and paper plates and plastic utensils in checked luggage, for use in case of a picnic (even one in the hotel room)

And I bring my own washcloth to budget hotels.

I think I discovered this on my own, but it's not an item to pack:
If I'm wearing trousers on the plane, as I usually am, I roll up the legs quite high just before entering the wc.
Keeps the hem and cuffs away from the icky bathroom floor when I lower the trousers.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I never fly without my inflatable neck pillow.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I have a small 'wine kit' that I assembled into a cosmetic case. And next trip, I'll be using my collapsible vase for a small bunch of flowers in the room.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Hi Scarlett, new clothes only - honest, LOL! Honestly, they do "last" better when traveling.

Do I have to teach all of you everything, LOL.

Uh, Scarlett, you are not going to be going around "banded" are you, what with the black and blue! Please honey, we don't want to put M2K into a hizzy fit, but knowing you I cannot imagine you in any outfit that did not pass inspection.

And yes, do remember what mama said "wear good underwear in case you are in an accident". I doooo think however if any of us are in an accident while traveling in Europe our underwear will be the least of our worries.

Happy travels everyone.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I know that tip crazy comes up often and is a favorite of many but there is NO WAY on this earth I'm wearing old saggy undies for a trip to Europe. I take all my very best clothes and shoes, such as they are.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:11 PM

oops... crazy tip
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM

A small spray bottle filled with fabreze to freshen up my clothes, shoes, etc. and hotel room or bathroom.

Plastic clothes pins that hook onto a shower to dry hand washed items.

Also love to shop at grocery stores for water and local goodies for the room- especially chocolate bars and wine in Europe.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I love the idea of the extra pillow case for the airline pillows. Of course, American isn't providing pillows on domestic flights anymore. But it would still work for international.

I like to bring my immersion heater (one for U.S., one for Europe's plugs). Really helps when I need a jolt of java or tea for those budget rooms without coffee makers. Plus I bring instant coffee bags & tea bags, instant oatmeal and hot chocolate. Go to the local grocery store, pick up some fruit, and you've got breakfast!

Happy travels!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I usually take a few dryer sheets. They take up little room and I can put them in the drawers and closets (if you can call them that!) to keep the clothes from getting the "I've been sitting in a hotel drawer" smell!!

Never thought of the Febreeze, will absolutely do that this next trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Oh, Scarlett, LoveItaly beat me to it, but I was going to ask if you weren't afraid of banding! You really have to watch those black and blue clothes...MK would surely have a fit!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM

LOL, at first I had to think what banding ??
I won't tell M_K if you don't ~
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I'm quite curious now......what's banding?????

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM

I always pack my favorite air freshener and ziploc baggies.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM

I love buying magazines that I don't subscribe at home, while waiting in the airports, because I *LOVE* magazines. It might cost me $4-$6 that one time but it's a little treat that I allow myself to have a few times a year when I travel
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM

moldy,
when I went to Paris last month, my TC had brought an aerosol air freshener--that was a new idea to me.
Came in handy!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -